Configuration Questions with HDHR Prime

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
socbrian

HTPC Specs: Show details

Configuration Questions with HDHR Prime

Post by socbrian » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:07 pm

I am looking to invest in an HDHomerun Prime and add it to my network. My question is could you use a server to basically stream all the tuners on the Prime. I want the server to be a centralized place to record and store TV recordings. I was thinking that the other computers can extend off the server’s WMC.

Questions:
If you extend off a server would the recordings be done by the server and stored on the server even if the extended computer is off?
What should the system specs look like if the server was needed to stream 2 feeds and record 1 more?
Do the extended WMC PC’s have to install software or set anything up other than to extend?

Thanks

barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:56 pm

If your shows are copy-protected by your cable company, the only answer is to use an extender for Windows media Center like the XBox360, HP X280N, Linksys DMA-2100/DMA-2200, or the soon-to-be-released Ceton Echo. You can have up to 5 extenders playing live/recorded TV simultaneously.

If your shows are not copy-protected, then you can simply share the folder where the recordings are stored on the "server" and allow the other PC's in the house to access those recordings. This is a less-than-ideal scenario though, because you will be unable to schedule new recordings from all the TV's in the house. Using an extender as mentioned above is the solution to this problem.