HTPC Update time

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Jonny561201

HTPC Specs: Show details

HTPC Update time

Post by Jonny561201 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:16 pm

My current Media Center setup has been solid for the last four years with minimal updating throughout that time. I picked up a Ceton InfiniTV, Win7, and a solid state along the way, but there have never been any fundamental changes. Although I have no major problems I am experiencing performance issues related to the underpowered graphics card, which as you can see from my profile is an integrated ATI 3200 HD. My wife is also very interested in trying out several 3D movies we have purchased and this setup is currently unable to handle 3D. My case is 90mm in height and accomplishes this via a riser card allowing for the use of full sized PCIe boards, but it can only handle one PCIe slot which is currently occupied by the Ceton Tuner. It has become harder and harder to find a HTPC case that I like, and is small enough to fit the space (plus my wife hates the bigger cases). Combined with my limited budget this also rules out a new case and the ability to add a new Graphics card.

My intent was always to get a Ceton Q along with an Echo for the spare room. However, with the Q on perminent hiatus I wont be getting either products as I cannot justify the added expense of an Echo when my Xbox works without issue (the acoustics of the room dampen much of the fan noise). I am thinking of going to the below setup, and wondered if anyone had used the new FM2 boards/cpus from AMD? I am also curious to hear if you guys feel like it still makes sense to invest in media center when the ethusiasts are effectively being squeezed out? Love to hear everyones thoughts.

Total Investment = $240 (and I may go to a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD which is Sata III)
CPU - AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz FM2 (Radeon 7560D
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-F2A75M-D3H FM2
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm fortunate enough to live close enough to a MicroCenter that I can take advantage of their instore deals - like a Core i3-3225 with a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H for $190. The A8 is a faster CPU, but I'm not exactly CPU bound with my existing system (a Clarkdale i3), so I'm having a harder time justifying an upgrade that you are :) but I'd suggest that you might be better of going with the A6-5400, which will run cooler, and putting that extra $35 towards an SSD.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Jonny561201 wrote:My wife is also very interested in trying out several 3D movies we have purchased and this setup is currently unable to handle 3D.
I forgot to ask - have you looked at what's involved in getting 3D BluRays working? You might be better off just buying a 3D BluRay player for the rare occasions you need it :)

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:42 am

My understanding was it only required the software to playback 3d blurays such as TMT5, the onboard hdmi port had to support the hdmi 1.4 standard, and your monitor needs to support 3d along with any receiver midstream. I am all good except for the receiver unless I am missin something?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Jonny561201 wrote:My understanding was it only required the software to playback 3d blurays such as TMT5, the onboard hdmi port had to support the hdmi 1.4 standard, and your monitor needs to support 3d along with any receiver midstream. I am all good except for the receiver unless I am missin something?
That makes sense, but when I was reading up on 3D with NVidia graphics cards last year, you had to use an emitter connected to the PC to drive the active glasses. But you're right, it makes more sense that the TV would handle the active glasses, not the PC.

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 pm

hat makes sense, but when I was reading up on 3D with NVidia graphics cards last year, you had to use an emitter connected to the PC to drive the active glasses. But you're right, it makes more sense that the TV would handle the active glasses, not the PC.
My TV came with two pairs of active shutter glasses and should drive the lenses based on an emitter on the TV. I have never played with the tech, but would love to see what it is like on the TV.

My current hesitation is that I dont know if it is worth continuing to dump money into MC. Ceton was going to breath life into the platform, but now I am not sure if it makes sense, and I know the support from MS will at least continue to Win7 EoL so I should be okay for a while.