Glee Marked as copy protected

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:31 am

PapaSmurph wrote:I am also having the same issue. My cable company is Wave Broadband so I think it is an issue with Fox and not with the cable companies.
Hasn't happened here.

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:43 am

erkotz wrote:Again, if anyone is seeing this on a Ceton InfinTV, please collect a Ceton Diagnostic capture immediately after the recording takes place (must be before a sleep or reboot) and open a support ticket with Ceton. After doing so, please PM me the ticket #. I'd like to stir up some trouble over this, but I need some people that are experiencing this willing to push it with me.
i will do this tonight during fox primtime

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:14 pm

So after 2 weeks of prime time fox being marked copy protected, and unplayable on my HTPC, I finally get a ceton diagnostic log for the recording of glee last night, Guess what, it recorded fine no copy protection. So i will keep a eye on it and try again if needed.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:36 pm

these things happen. The world is an imperfect place.

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:57 pm

adam1991 wrote:these things happen. The world is an imperfect place.
Yea I get That, But i think i will go ahead and make my world as perfect as i can ;)

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:30 pm

adam1991 wrote:these things happen. The world is an imperfect place.
It's what this forum, erkotz, and Cetons' ticket system is here for ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

PapaSmurph

Post by PapaSmurph » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:44 pm

No problem with X Factor on Fox or Wave Broadband last night either. Obviously something to keep an eye on.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Lately in many forums I've been seeing a lot of people having problems caused by cgms-a for both the infiniTV and the prime, apparently with the new fall season many broadcasters are starting to "play" with this again.

My understanding last night for glee and xfactor "fox" chose to set cgms-a to unrestricted but that may change. It is my understanding that CCI data must be present if they do try to change it back. I am unclear if a properly paired cablecard is required for the CCI setting to override the CGMS-A setting or if the mere presence of cci data is enough... I do know in the past I had problems with CGMS-A prior to me having any cablecard with the ceton but it wouldn't surprise me one way or the other if a cablecard must be paired to receive the cci data.

There was a post on the SD forum that linked to what I thought was one of the better articles on protection flags over on the ceton site http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index. ... tion-flags and from my understanding I think it needs to be updated a bit and I also want to clear up my understanding of it so I don't spread wrong information. The article was posted about 18 months ago so I thought it could use an update. Searching the ceton support site for key terms of CCI or cgms (or cgms-a) only turned up that article.

The problem I have with that page is that it states at the bottom:
For channels that are ClearQAM, the CableCARD doesn't decrypt them so the InfiniTV does not receive any CCI value, therefore any of the other flags which are present on the channel are respected.
This makes it sound like any clear qam channel will never be overridden by cci as it isn't processed. My understanding is that clear qam channels can have cci data and that it will indeed be processed by the card so that the cgms-a restrictions can be overridden by the cci setting. In fact I see "CCI 00 arrived for program# 1" in the logs when I tune a clear qam channel and I don't have the problems others apparently have. I would also wonder if a statement similar to "Some cable companies don't include cci data for their clear qam channels." as well as some type of action for people who encounter this to take... such as contact/demand it from their cable company. It would be huge if it even stated that ceton would pledge to help in fighting this battle since they may have some key contacts at those companies to try and get the ball rolling. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a support ticket would be required to be opened and such fights would be on a case by case basis and to ensure that is indeed what is happening rather than a blanket declaration implying that they will get results. But perhaps my understanding of it is wrong.

The page might also state something like ceton tuners without cablecards may also experience this problem as a cablecard is needed to interpret the CCI data... this may have changed with recent upgrades of firmware/drivers but I haven't had a problem with this since I got my cablecard but when I first got my ceton, I did use it as a "clear qam" tuner for 3 months and WMC would also ask for cablecard "activation" to view these channels when the individual programs were protected (sorry I don't remember the exact error message but I recall it was "activate" or "activation" and/or "cablecard required to view channel" and I don't feel like removing my cablecard to find out what the message was)

Zero

Post by Zero » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:13 am

I'm on FiOS and this is being caused by the local FOX affiliate setting CGMS-A copy protection flag. There should be no CCI flags set for local channels as they are ClearQAM, therefore the only (if any) copy protection commonly used is the CGMS-A flag. It appears that FOX is enabling CGMS-A protection only for new episodes of their TV series - local news and other TV programing is not being copy protected.

I see in the diagnostic log from my InfiniTV and it's stating during that time recording on FOX:
ocur: wmdrm_SetTagPacket:1122 : [1.0] Using analog cp 0x4000082

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Contact the Chief Engineer for your local Fox station and explain the problem. As I understand it, the problem has been solved in some markets by users complaining. I have no idea what happened and it isn't network wide, the O&O in Los Angeles (KTTV previously of Metromedia linage) has not marked the program as such. I don't know if it just an affiliate issue or not, but you might also want to complain to Network operations at Fox Television.

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the posts and research. Looks like I now have steps to take if it shows up again. 1. do a ceton diagnostic and open a ticket. 2. contact the local channels chief engineer and make a inquiry.