Ceton Companion App for Windows 7 Tablet

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
dnr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Companion App for Windows 7 Tablet

Post by dnr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 am

I was very excited by this announcement until I realized that there is no Companion App support for a Windows 7 tablet. When will this be addressed?

ianken

Post by ianken » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 pm

dnr wrote:I was very excited by this announcement until I realized that there is no Companion App support for a Windows 7 tablet. When will this be addressed?
What is the difference between a windows 7 "tablet" and a regular windows 7 PC? Since Windows 7 lacks any real tablet UI, that would be a total waste of time for Ceton. Add in that there are probably more Amiga users that Win7 tablet users and it makes little sense to invest in a Win7 companion solution.

I suspect they will do a Win8 version using the app framework provided there.
(former) test lead - Media Center A/V Pipeline
Std Disclaimer. No warranties...blah blah

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 pm

Unfortunately, we have no plans at this time for any Windows 7 desktop application. Windows 8 Metro app is on the road map.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 pm

ianken wrote:
dnr wrote:I was very excited by this announcement until I realized that there is no Companion App support for a Windows 7 tablet. When will this be addressed?
What is the difference between a windows 7 "tablet" and a regular windows 7 PC? Since Windows 7 lacks any real tablet UI, that would be a total waste of time for Ceton. Add in that there are probably more Amiga users that Win7 tablet users and it makes little sense to invest in a Win7 companion solution.
If (and I remain to be convinced) the Ceton Companion is a great way to manage your media, then a Windows 7 version would make a lot of sense, especially for people who run a headless Media server, with extenders to deliver the content to their TVs, - if there was a straightforward way to charge for it (there is no one-shop-stop app-sore for Windows 7). If, on the other hand, the Ceton Companion is just a glorified remote control, then there isn't likely to be much demand from Windows 7 users.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:46 pm

I think that people would find it useful and there have been a lot of requests for a lot of different platforms such as browser based, windows 7, windows 8 metro etc.

It all comes down to time, resources, distribution models, app stores, etc. I wish we could make a companion app for everything!

Maybe I can make it a weekend project.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

VincentA

Post by VincentA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 am

I would love to see this as it would be a great way to control what i record on my HTPC from my main PC. :D :clap:
Motz wrote:I think that people would find it useful and there have been a lot of requests for a lot of different platforms such as browser based, windows 7, windows 8 metro etc.

It all comes down to time, resources, distribution models, app stores, etc. I wish we could make a companion app for everything!

ianken

Post by ianken » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Motz wrote:I think that people would find it useful and there have been a lot of requests for a lot of different platforms such as browser based, windows 7, windows 8 metro etc.

A web based UI would be kinda cool and meet the needs of folks on low volume (in terms of this scenario) platforms.

RemotePotato has a (quite lame, IMHO) web UI and Plex has one now too (and it's quite nice).

Personally I'd rather get a solid HLS streamer on the server side before a web UI.
(former) test lead - Media Center A/V Pipeline
Std Disclaimer. No warranties...blah blah