InfiniTV reboot issue

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Beradon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Beradon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:35 am

I have hardware 5124 on my PCI-E Infinitv4, I think I missed why that was important in this thread, but if you guys need information from me I'll see if I can supply it.

I am however experiencing the macroblocking and tuner crashing.

KHTPC75

Post by KHTPC75 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:28 am

lurch66 wrote:has anybody tried firmware 1.1.7.2 and if so how is it working? Thanks in advance for any feedback I am just wondering before I install it, Thanks.
I haven't tried 1.1.7.2 yet but I have 11 days of uptime so far on 1.1.6.9

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Ceton does not recommend reverting firmware versions, and "unusual" combinations should be considered untested, and could have unpredictable results (up to, and including, making a board inoperable).
As of the public beta firmware, I am not aware of any issues which cause InfiniTV reboots. If you are experiencing issues with the latest beta firmware, please open a support ticket rather than playing firmware roulette.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

jwill42

Post by jwill42 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Of course. But note that I am using one of the first generation PCIe InfiniTV units. I doubt the old firmwares would work at all on a USB InfiniTV (could brick it), and I have no idea what they would do on 2nd gen hardware PCIe InfiniTVs.

Also, it seems that the 1.1.6.9 FW is giving people some pretty good uptimes. If that FW was available to me a month ago, I would probably be running it instead, at least to see if it had any crashes for a month. I find that these crash / reboot issues require at least a month of testing to be sure of stability.

http://pastebin.com/8fB0jeNZ
Last edited by jwill42 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:32 pm

jwill42 wrote:I put a warning on the post. I am sure anyone reading the post can understand that there is a risk to flashing beta FW on their device. I believe anyone reading this forum is competent to make that decision for themself.
Unfortunately, we actually do get users that actually do things like that. Many users read this forum that do not post. It actually amazes me (and that's a good thing in some ways) how much of a PC novice some of our users are. In order to help protect these users, we have removed all firmware before 1.0.9.5 from our web server.

At this point, I would like to remind everyone here that Ceton Firmware and Software is copyrighted software, and redistributing it without Ceton's permission is prohibited.

jwill42

Post by jwill42 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:54 pm

erkotz wrote:Unfortunately, we actually do get users that actually do things like that.
Well, that is their prerogative. As long as they know that flashing beta firmware runs the risk of making their InfiniTV inoperable, then they have made an informed decision. It is better for customers to have more choices than less, as long as they are adequately warned.

In my case, I was able to get my InfiniTV working reliably more than a month ago by flashing an older firmware, while Ceton still has not released a non-beta firmware that works reliably. Hopefully the latest beta firmware will turn out to have solved the crash / reboot issue, and it will become an official release soon.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:52 am

erkotz wrote:
jwill42 wrote:I put a warning on the post. I am sure anyone reading the post can understand that there is a risk to flashing beta FW on their device. I believe anyone reading this forum is competent to make that decision for themself.
Unfortunately, we actually do get users that actually do things like that. Many users read this forum that do not post. It actually amazes me (and that's a good thing in some ways) how much of a PC novice some of our users are. In order to help protect these users, we have removed all firmware before 1.0.9.5 from our web server.

At this point, I would like to remind everyone here that Ceton Firmware and Software is copyrighted software, and redistributing it without Ceton's permission is prohibited.
I was not trying to redistribute anything and I sincerely apologize if that is the way I came across. I do have a support ticket in with Ceton and after loading firmware 1.1.6.9 at support's request most of my problems have been resolved other than the thin line of blocks that others have mentioned. I was going to see if the latest beta solved that issue. For now I will stick with the firmware I have and wait until the next non beta public release and upgrade then.

A big thank you erkotz for being a part of this forum. Thanks for what you do.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 am

lurch66 wrote:
erkotz wrote:

I was not trying to redistribute anything and I sincerely apologize if that is the way I came across. I do have a support ticket in with Ceton and after loading firmware 1.1.6.9 at support's request most of my problems have been resolved other than the thin line of blocks that others have mentioned. I was going to see if the latest beta solved that issue. For now I will stick with the firmware I have and wait until the next non beta public release and upgrade then.

A big thank you erkotz for being a part of this forum. Thanks for what you do.
Hi Lurch66,
Just to be clear, I was not targeting you. My message was intended to remind anyone that was considering hosting old firmware on their own web server that this is not allowed.

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:59 am

So with this reboot issue is there always a segfault registered?

I havent seen anything like that on mine in the logs, but mine has definitely rebooted

EDIT:

Nevermind, I found it

[183959.340000] Fault whee upnp_ocur_serve [28016]: segfaults at 00000000 pc=00085cd0

brainwarped

Post by brainwarped » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:15 pm

KHTPC75 wrote:
lurch66 wrote:has anybody tried firmware 1.1.7.2 and if so how is it working? Thanks in advance for any feedback I am just wondering before I install it, Thanks.
I haven't tried 1.1.7.2 yet but I have 11 days of uptime so far on 1.1.6.9

I am minutes away from 8 days of uptime with 1.1.7.2.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 pm

I have searched a few hundred posts/threads/replies, and see a lot of chatter about the crash/reboot issue, but no resolutions.

My question is this......has anyone actually had their crash/reboot issue resolved/fixed? If so, please describe how it was accomplished. I am wanting to buy a 4 but I am hoping Ceton will have fixed the "issues" with the new 6 tuner model.

Paul Anderegg
[link removed]

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 am

Hi Paul,

I removed your commercial sig link as it is your first post. What firmware/hardware version is your Infini on? The latest set addresses the reboot issue.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:10 am

Sorry about the www.

I haven't bought the Infini4 yet, I am just looking to buy, but saw the 6 tuner unit that will be released some day. If that release is too far away, I wanted to get the 4 tuner unit, but the crashing worries me. I shoot TV news, and I need to record multiple TV news shows to ensure I can get paid for what airs. If the darn bugger crashes on me, I will come home and not know what made air or not.

When you say the latest set addresses, are we talking a fix, or just a % of users addressed? I guess the best I could hope for is to remove the sign in password for Windows so the PC will at least reload Media Center and attempt to record the next show on the list?

Thanks!

Paul

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:20 am

The latest FW fixed all known crashes. I have not had any crashes since the new FW version. I am using the PCIe InfiniTV4.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:43 pm

The reboot issue was affecting some and not others. I am still on an older version of FW and HW from last year without the symptoms.

adamf

Post by adamf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:25 pm

I am continuously crashing with a brand new Dell, Win 7 and Ceton InfiniTV USB model. The only software on this unit beyond windows update and Dell imaged software is the Ceton. No Ceton, no crashes, with Ceton, continuous crashes and unusable computer. I tried to update to the latest firmware but the unit "failed to write new image". I have not been able to get this unit reliably working since purchase and now that the new TV season is upon us, was really hoping to get it to work. I have several crash logs and minidumps windows generates if anyone wants a look.

Thanks,
Adam

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi adamf.

Create a ticket with Ceton. they will guide you through troubleshooting.
http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index. ... ets/Submit