Windows Update 9/11/12 Possible Issue

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JohnW248

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Update 9/11/12 Possible Issue

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:54 pm

I had problems with Windows Update and I think it was KB2719857. After installing and restarting I couldn't get the tuners to pair Green on all tuners and then no picture or sound on a tune. Removed it and am still working to get the tuner back into Media Center. Removed and re-installed driver and now re-running tv set-up after removing tuner set-up and re-discovery of the tuners.

Fingers crossed.

YMMV

Here the information on the update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719857

After I removed it and restarted the machine twice, I then had to remove the tuner set-up with the diagnostic tool, re-discover the tuners and re-run tv set-up. A nice little 2 hour plus diversion with all the reboots and fumbling around until I got it working.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 am

No issues here.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:30 am

SilverRubicon wrote:No issues here.
Well good news, I guess. I'm running Win7 Pro 64 which I've installed XP in a virtual machine in case that narrows it down.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 am

Interesting I am sure the support staff and eric will look at it.

I disable windows update on my HTPC. Once it is working I figure no need to mess with it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Well I could be unique since I've done all the USB hotfixes as issued (3 total so far) as well as the PCI hotfix---so my machine might be a bit off the normal route. However I don't see any reason to need to connect to either 3G or 4G network with my HTPC. The updates did install without issue on my laptops which run Media Center but don't have a Ceton tuner attached. Hopefully this is just an issue with a single machine (although the fact I can't install the new beta drivers fails at exactly the same point on both the HP and the Dell).

Just a word of warning because it took three hours with all the reboots to get everything working again and the only thing I removed was the USB 3G/4G update.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:42 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
Well good news, I guess. I'm running Win7 Pro 64 which I've installed XP in a virtual machine in case that narrows it down.
I'm running Win7 64 too, but on actual hardware. Doesn't surprise me that a VM is causing problems but it's doubtful that the latest update is the source of the issue. I'd point fingers at the VM.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:55 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:
JohnW248 wrote:
I'm running Win7 64 too, but on actual hardware. Doesn't surprise me that a VM is causing problems but it's doubtful that the latest update is the source of the issue. I'd point fingers at the VM.
Sorry to confuse. I'm running Win7 64 Prof on actual real hardware, part of the attraction of Professional is the ability to run XP Pro in a virtual machine. That's what I was talking about in case having that VM software might have interacted with the USB 3G/4G fix. Since I don't need to connect to any 3G/4G network, it isn't a problem for me to not install it.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:47 am

I have automatic updates on my HTPC. No issue that I've seen.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:40 am

erkotz wrote:I have automatic updates on my HTPC. No issue that I've seen.
And I assume you've done all three of the USB hotfixes and the PCI hotfix as well. Maybe it was unique to the HP AMD Quad machine. What I know is after installing the updates the first thing that happened was tuner 1 wouldn't pair and showed RED, the next boot and 1 was Green and 2&3 were RED, then another boot and only 3 was RED. Then I tried to tune a channel and got no sound and only a blue background. And so it went until I had to remove the old Ceton Driver and re-install it, reboot, then remove tuner set-up and re-discover tuners and re-run tv-set up before I got the tuners back.

So if someone does have trouble, they shuold uninstall the USB 3G/4G update and that requires two restarts, hide the update and then uninstall and re-install the Ceton driver (the new beta won't work for me on either the Dell or HP) and remove tuner set-up, re-discover tuners and re-run tv set-up.

So for a precautionary stand-point I didn't install that update on the Dell and I've instructed my friends running Ceton PCIe/USB cards to do the same. Whether it would have impacted any others, I don't know. But better safe than ...... 2 hours of unnecessary work.

garciajj74

Post by garciajj74 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 pm

I just wanted to say thank you. I have had nothing but issues recently with my ceton infinitv pcie tuner not being detected and alot of other issues. What killed me was everything worked fine for me before. I literally just removed this update you recommended an hour ago and everthing is working great once again. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64 Bit