Stubborn Connection Process

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
dmccall

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stubborn Connection Process

Post by dmccall » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 am

When I connect to my PC from the Companion app (Android), most of the time I have to select the PC at least one time. Many times, after selecting the PC, the phone fails its connection (with a "could not connect" error). I try again, and sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. I have never not been able to connect within 3 tries however. What is the deal here?

bcc243

Post by bcc243 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm

exact same problem here. I always have to select my media center computer twice before it connects. i was trying to show off the app to my wife but when it failed to connect the 1st time she dismissed the app and would not purchase it for her iphone.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for letting us know, we'll add some additional diagnostics to help troubleshoot this.

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm having the same issue with connecting on my iPhone 4s and iPad both running iOS 5.1.1 I've actually had to delete my WMC pc from the phone apps and then rediscover it. After that it appears to be ok, once it's connected, but I'm still having connection issues as was previously described. I jus tried it right now over 3G and it doesn't connect. I was trying to show off the app to some friends and they laughed at me (they're all software engineers so they know the deal about software development). :wtf: :)

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Have you updated to the latest version? And hopefully the updates to the mobiles are approved soon, sadly no control there.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm

So we found some issues with the iOS version when switching from wifi to 3g, this is fixed in the upcoming release that has already been submitted to the app store for approval..
Teddy you can try to force quite out of the app via double tap on home button on iPhone and then try to re-connect.
James
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm

It works fine when I'm home. I just got home from having breakfast & I see that the Companion Services have been updated to 1227. I was on 1218. I just updated the services. I'll see how things perform. I'm sure when the apps update I'll have better stability overall. Overall I'm happy with the software for it being 1.0. I think it's in better shape than Remote Potato was when it was first released.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Q & the Echo. I'll end up replacing my htpc with a Q if it meets my requirements.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Oh yeah so how the version numbers work in the companion services so people know it is actually the date that we built it.... So this one is:

12 = year
9 = month
19 = day
1218 = minute

For the app version numbers they have all been switched to 3 numbers so for instance new iOS is 1.2.8

1 = Major release
2 = Minor release (new feature added)
8 = Bug fix release/# + incremented for test builds depending on platform.

The app update itself really fixes a lot.
I Write, Code, and Tweet