Slingbox PRO-HD with Media Center

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Crispy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Slingbox PRO-HD with Media Center

Post by Crispy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 am

A friend showed me a Slingbox PRO-HD working with Sky+ HD it was impressive. I had a look at Slingbox's website and saw it works with Media Center:
http://uk.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-connections

I also found you can get an app for Windows 7 Phone but it's £22.99! ($29.99)
http://www.appsfuze.com/applications/wi ... obile,1902

It seems I would get my whole Media Center experience remotely in 720p which would be excellent...

Does any one use it and what is your experience of the hardware/software?

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 am

I haven't used this, but Remote potato gives you this and much more. You should have a look. I can stream all of my movies, recorded TV, music, and pictures to my iPad and computer anywhere. The only two things it cannot do is DRM recordings which is not a factor for you and live TV, but you can just record whatever you want to watch and then watch it.
Greg

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:43 am

Oh yeah, it's also free except for some of the apps for iOS etc.
Greg

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:48 am

Slingbox is still my solution for live tv despite being a remote potato evangalist. i bought my slingbox before i bought my first HTPC and still nothing is quite as good as it at streaming live tv. I hope RP will make this final jump as I've already had to buy one replacement adaptor for it and next time it goes i can just consign it to HTPC history.

Plus I have noticed some people saying that the latest slingbox ios apps are having problems, thankfully i saw this before i updated

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:53 am

also, i'm not sure how you'd use the slingbox to control Media Center? Possibly there's a way. mine controls my dreambox (satellite receiver) through an IR blaster

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I use Remote Potato and Media Buddy on my Windows 7 Phone at the moment but on my old setup, haven't set it up on my new HTPC, I ran into codec problems and HD recordings would fail to play. I was interested in Slingbox because it sends just the video output from Media Center and you wont run into codec problems, if it plays on your TV, Slingbox will be able to send it. This means I can watch my archived Blurays and everything Media Center can display on my home TV with less 'hassle'* than Remote Potato.

I believe it uses IR blasters for Slingbox to control Media Center.

The image quality of Sky+ HD was very good when demoed by my friend and the setup seemed a breeze.*

*I maybe talking out of my ar$e.

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:20 pm

no, they are incredibly easy to set up. plug in the video source, run the set-up. its live in 5 mins.

back to the second point i was trying to make. I wouldn't want to control Media Center thrugh an IR blaster similar to how i control my satellite receiver. The only controls i have to send are to change the channel and through the use of favourites this is quite easy. however if you were trying to navigate around MC's menus i think i would find the delay in processing the commands quite annoying and you'd end up with the wrong thing numerous times. you really cannot beat RP apart from for live TV

you shouldn't have codec problems. That will be changes you have made, not remote potato. DRM i cannot comment on as we are DRM free!