SOUND

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Glitchy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Glitchy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 pm

mmatheny wrote:Beware! - getting MC to work with surround sound over HDMI is (can be) an exercise in frustration, as I have witnessed. For a product that is to be used as the main multimedia component, it's handling of the newest surround sound specs is sketchy at best.
Well I guess it just depends on your setup. HTPC (Sandy Bridge 17-2600K) >AVR (Onkyo TX-NR3008) >TV (Samsung LCD) via HDMI to 9.1 Surround is working (easily) perfectly for me! All bit-streaming HD Audio formats to amp with no problems!

Jeff

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 am

HDMI is a picky bugger.. ,well not so much HDMI as HDCP. HDMI for the most part has been working fine for me. However the restrictions set by HDCP have played havoc in certain scenarios for me. I know mmatheny has had issues with muting wmc through HDMI lately and this should just work out of the box, but as things go with most pc's there is usually something that isn't always quite perfect. I have also had issues with my htpc not doing what it should but most problems get sorted in time. But patience can wear thin sometimes..i think we we have all experienced that at one point or another.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 am

newfiend wrote:. I have also had issues with my htpc not doing what it should but most problems get sorted in time. But patience can wear thin sometimes..i think we we have all experienced that at one point or another.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express
This I can relate to!

guppy

Post by guppy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Maybe there is an easy solution for this.

When I watch action movies, I like the amp!!

When the wife watches her TV shows, she DON'T like the amp.

What is the easiest way to flip back and forth from Optical out to hdmi out (tv speakers). currently I go into control panel and select default on the audio source that I like, but this is too much trouble for the wife. Even if there were a way to enable both at the same time, might work, then I could just turn the amp on when I want it and tv speakers could run all the time.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:32 pm

Here's a program called Audio Renderer Updater:

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ter-7.html

You can't have WMC output audio to two different devices, but if it's one device with two outputs (a passthrough of sorts), that will work...in a way. As an example, my Realtek audio chip has both digital and analog output, and I can send audio out both connections simultaneously. The problem is, I pass Dolby Digital to the AVR, so there's no decoding happening in the computer. That means the analog output would never get anything. I'd have to tell WMC to decode the audio, but then that means I couldn't transmit Dolby Digital over S/PDIF.

So I think your best bet is Audio Renderer Updater. That should allow you flip back and forth between the optical and HDMI output right from within WMC.

guppy

Post by guppy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:52 am

Thanks Richard, i'll give it a try tomorrow.

http://www.hack7mc.com/2010/08/switch-a ... dater.html

guppy

Post by guppy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Frecking PERFECT!! thanks Richard