Windows will not boot with Ceton infinitTV card plugged in

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
TimTurry

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows will not boot with Ceton infinitTV card plugged in

Post by TimTurry » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:56 pm

It is weird. I put the cablecard in, installed, and did a bunch of initialization. When I reboot, Windows 7 hangs on the logo that says "Starting Windows". The fans are still going, and the infinitTV card is flashing blue!

When I power down, and remove the infinitTV card, Windows boots normally, and Media Center can come up.

I don't think I have a DOA because the card plugged in and did a bunch of initialization fine. Could one of the setting have put it in this state? If so, how can I get it back to a normal state?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Have you tried a full power down, pull the cableCARD and try to boot?

What were your "bunch of initalizations" that you did?

You should also check the card "seating" since those small PCIe slots can angle the card which would cause trouble. Then try another PCIe slot.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:30 am

back to normal state? you could remove the card and uninstall the software, then start over.

TimTurry

Post by TimTurry » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:14 am

I have done a full power down multiple times.
By "initializations" I meant setting up "Windows Media Center" for the first time.
I ended up hitting "Reset Network Settings" and "Clear Tuner Configuration" as well.

My Mobo does not have a PCIex1 slot. It has a PCIex4 and a PCIex8 slot open.
In the x4, the machine hangs at Windows start
In the x8, the machine boots, but the InfiniTV card is not recognized. It is as if it is not plugged in.

I have been at this all day. I am losing hope.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:02 am

If you haven't tried this, in this order, give it a shot

1. Shut down, pull power plug from PC
2. Remove Ceton card
3. Insert power plug and boot (check for normal operation)
4. Insert Ceton Card in PCIe1 slot without cableCARD
5. Boot and watch the back of the machine---you should see a red led followed by flashing blue followed by steady blue
6. If machine boots, continue until fully up. Then open NETWORK and look for the Ceton card under Media Devices
7. Right click on the icon and choose view device webpage
8. If you get this far, insert cableCARD
9. If you can't get the card to respond or the machine doesn't boot, open a ticket with Ceton and report the steps you've taken.

This sounds like there might be a short on the PCIe bus that prevents Windows from booting. Aside from looking at the connector and socket the only other test is to put some other PCIe card in the slot to see if it works. If it does then the problem might be with the Ceton card, if it doesn't then ......

The reason for the reboots and the specific order is to remove any reservations Windows might have made on the bus and to start fresh. You can check under device manager for the slot number as well as system information. I would think the card would be recognized in a PCIe4 slot which makes me question if there is an issue with the connector on the card.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:25 pm

^+1

If your PC is not POSTing with the Ceton card installed it points to a hardware problem on either the card or the slot. If you have another PCIe slot to test the card in, do so.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

TimTurry

Post by TimTurry » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks John. Let's see how we did:
Steps 1-4 have been done many times
5. I see red led, followed by flashing blue, It never stops flashing
6. Open Devices and Printers (Windows 7) and there is no Ceton there. I click "Add a device" and it still can't find Ceton.
7. There is no icon to right click

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Try opening a browser and going to 192.168.200.1

I think it's time to file a ticket with Ceton. You are getting power to the card but it does not boot (the non-stop flashing blue). You can also check device manager and open network adapters and see if you have a ceton device besides you nic adapter. Alternatively you could open Network and Sharing and on the left click on change adapter settings and see if there is an adapter there for the Ceton. I'm just guessing but doubt you'll find it.....At least you know that there is power on the PCIe bus and it's trying to boot....I think that a PCIe4 should handle a PCIe device so that shouldn't be an issue (the same goes for a PCIe8 slot).

John

TimTurry

Post by TimTurry » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:14 am

192.168.200.1 does not respond.
Thank you for your time.
Here is the weird part: it shows up under
Device Manager-> Network adapters -> Ceton InfiniTV Network Device #2

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:31 am

Well that means that the network card part of the tuner is working but something has happened to the tuner and its FW since you can't find it at 192.168.200.1. It probably also shows up in Network and Sharing under change adapter settings. In the view you can see if it is sending and receiving data---probably isn't. Perhaps Ceton has other things to check but it doesn't appear as if success is within reach for this card right now. The good news is that your computer is working and the PCIe bus is working.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:12 pm

If the LED is flashing blue, the tuner has been configured to be a DHCP client, but does not have an IP address. You need to get the PC up and press the reset network settings button in the InfiniTV Diag utility.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation