Dual DVB-S2 tuners and Xbox 360 question

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
dazza

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dual DVB-S2 tuners and Xbox 360 question

Post by dazza » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 am

Hi All,

Shortly I'll have my W7 MCE PC equipped with two Hauppauge DVB-S2 tuner cards which I'll be running Sky through. We have two Xbox 360's which I want to use as extenders. Now, here's the question. Can I assume that you are able to watch two separate channels on the extenders (one on each)? If so, how will it effect our main viewing channel? In other words if we're watching a Sky channel on our main TV through MCE and one of the kids upstairs is watching through their Xbox 360 and turns their channel over will that effect the main TV?

Cheers
Daz

asm495

Post by asm495 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 am

Short answer: You should not have any disturbance. Each Xbox can watch a channel using one tuner each.

Watching one channel on each Xbox will use 2 tuners in total leaving you 2 more for recording 2 other programmes simultaneously. If only 1 Xbox is watching live TV then 3 programmes could be recorded simultaneously. If then you turn on the second Xbox to watch live TV whilst 3 recordings and one existing live TV session was happening you would be asked if you want to stop one of the recordings.

Just bear in mind that if you have a Sky subscription it is not a simple case of connecting up the satellite feeds - by default you will only get FreeSat channels. Viewing encrypted Sky channels in your subscription requires more effort.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:09 am

Darren, its Mark. there ae only two feeds to dvblink, you can only watch 2 live channels at a time. one extender could watch the same live channel as the other, or as the main WMC but only 2 channels can be watched at a time. this is why i was trying to encourage you to think about using WMC as a proper dvr and recording all the Tv you watch. you can record during the day while no-one is watching and then these recordings can be watched in the evening meaning the tuners aren't tied up

asm495

Post by asm495 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Apologies I thought you had two dual tuner cards whereas it seems you have or are getting two cards with 1 tuner each. I would recommend getting two dual tuner cards in any case as it makes the whole system work much more smoothly. Or alternatively you can even buy a quad DVB-S2 tuner which only occupies one PCI-E slot.