Technet Subscriptions - The Correct Use Of

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
andino

HTPC Specs: Show details

Technet Subscriptions - The Correct Use Of

Post by andino » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:14 pm

[Mod Split from: Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate]
gcoupe wrote:Windows Server Essentials 2012 at $425 is not a replacement for a WIndows Home Server
Technet subscription is just $199.00... They do have sales too. I got mine for $175.00....

Just saying...

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:15 am

andino wrote:
gcoupe wrote:Windows Server Essentials 2012 at $425 is not a replacement for a WIndows Home Server
Technet subscription is just $199.00... They do have sales too. I got mine for $175.00....

Just saying...
And the EULA for TechNet is for using the software for testing and evaluation purposes only.

I, and I suspect Microsoft's lawyers, don't consider that running my home server is just "testing". As far as I'm concerned, it's in production. Of course, YMMV, and you can take a different view.
Geoff Coupe

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:00 pm

gcoupe wrote:
andino wrote:

Just saying...
And the EULA for TechNet is for using the software for testing and evaluation purposes only.

I, and I suspect Microsoft's lawyers, don't consider that running my home server is just "testing". As far as I'm concerned, it's in production. Of course, YMMV, and you can take a different view.
Maybe he has been "testing" WHS only to find out it has been abandoned and not worth the purchase; time to test something else like essentials and/or 8, the options are available with technet.

I'm curious how the word "testing" is defined here.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:19 pm

I have a Technet subscription and only use it for evaluating and testing Microsoft products, mostly inside a VM.
All our software used for our businesses and at home are purchased retail and a few are OEM purchased with hardware.

I would hope that member andino is not referring to using Technet licenses for real world application, this would be a violation of the EULA.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

andino

Post by andino » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm

There is no time limit on the evaluation of the software.

And he can test the software out for as long as he likes before he has to purchase it.

I suggest a nice long test, maybe for a few years, to see if he likes the software before he plops down the $425 for it.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 pm

andino wrote:There is no time limit on the evaluation of the software.
Actually there is, in as much as you are required to keep your subscription operational.

More importantly the 'testing' you are referring to should not be performed in a real time environment:
Microsoft EULA wrote:You may not use the software in a live operating environment...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subs ... 94422.aspx

I'm sure we all fully understand what you are saying andino, but please refrain from doing so here.
This forum does not support or condone any such activity.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123