Tuner Selection Advice Needed

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
TW_Canada

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner Selection Advice Needed

Post by TW_Canada » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 pm

I've been using WMC for several years and my current tuner (Hava Monsoon) just died, so I need a new one. I'm having difficulty finding a suitable one as the information on capabilities is very sparse and selection criteria on the vendors websites is not good for drilling down on specific requirements. So I'd appreciate your experience and advice on a suitable tuner.

What I need is:

Windows 7 64-bit support.
Compatible with WMC.
Compatible with MS IR xmtr & rcvr.
Compatible with HD TV.
Compatible with a satellite receiver (Bell 6131 HD).
Must be able to change the channel on the sat rcvr using MS IR blaster.
High quality TV inputs (component preferred).
High quality TV outputs (HDMI preferred).

I don't want to look at another Hava product as their support was terrible (although the device was good as far as it went). I just tried a Hauppauge Colossus and had to send it back because of IR problems.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ?f=6&t=907

To expand on some of the points:

The things I need from the IR system (in addition to basic functionality) are a range of 15 - 20 feet minimum (30 preferred) as I use this for my main family TV, and the ability to power on the WMC PC using the remote control. I have that with my existing MS IR subsystem. I've tried others from tuner board manufacturers in the past and they all fall short, so I'm pretty skeptical of other devices.

I'd like the ability to accept a high quality input format (component input at 1080i (or better)). What's the point of having a high quality signal (yes, I know satellite doesn't compete with OTA, but OTA doesn't have the range of channels) if you're going to push them through a low bandwidth format?

Anyhow, all suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony

Tony2255

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Tony2255 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I am having the same issue. Have you found anything that will work yet?