My Media Center Walkthrough & How To Videos

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Is this a free or paid app?

Just watched the android video and it looks pretty sweet! I really like being able to schedule a recording remotely. That is something I used once in a while when I had Uverse before switching to Cable to save money by using a CableCARD tuner and I've missed scheduling a couple of things remotely as sometimes you're not at home when you find out that something good is going to be on.

docmattman

Post by docmattman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:46 pm

I hope the apps are free, since I have several devices I would like to put the apps onto. I think I have the full range covered between myself and my wife (WP, iPhone, iPad and Android phone). I would hate to have to purchase the app for each device. If there is a fee, it would be better to charge for the HTPC service instead of the device app. I wouldn't complain if both were free though. Ceton will still be getting plenty of my money when the Echo's are available. I'll need several for myself and even more for extended family that I hooked up with Media Center.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't. Good apps should get people paid. Whether it's a buck or 20...I's pay it for a danm good remote app.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:21 pm

^^ A lot of R&D went into all aspects of the Companion, so I would expect to see some form of revenue model for it.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 pm

I've said I'd feel no qualms if it were $1.99 or so. $3.00 max. More than that and I start to have reservations. But then again, down the road we might decide it was worth it if it is a higher price from all the use we get of it (calling into fact not all the functionality is even present in it yet).

docmattman

Post by docmattman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 am

Venom51 wrote:Good apps should get people paid.
I agree with this 100%. However, I think the fee should be for the HTPC service instead of the app. If I buy the app for my Android phone, but upgrade to a WP8 (or iOS) device when my contract expires, I would have to re-buy the same app on another platform to get the same functionality I already owned. I am much less likely to replace my HTPC. So a fee for that service on the PC seems like it would make more sense.

I think this is the problem in general with all the different platforms having separate app stores. Many have the same apps, but moving to a different ecosystem means you have to re-buy everything. If the app somehow uses a unified service at the core (as is the case with the Ceton Companion), then it benefits the consumer to charge for the service instead of the app. That leaves us free to choose future devices based on their quality and features and not on how many apps we'd need to re-buy.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 am

docmattman wrote:
I agree with this 100%. However, I think the fee should be for the HTPC service instead of the app. If I buy the app for my Android phone, but upgrade to a WP8 (or iOS) device when my contract expires, I would have to re-buy the same app on another platform to get the same functionality I already owned. I am much less likely to replace my HTPC. So a fee for that service on the PC seems like it would make more sense.

I think this is the problem in general with all the different platforms having separate app stores. Many have the same apps, but moving to a different ecosystem means you have to re-buy everything. If the app somehow uses a unified service at the core (as is the case with the Ceton Companion), then it benefits the consumer to charge for the service instead of the app. That leaves us free to choose future devices based on their quality and features and not on how many apps we'd need to re-buy.

I endorse this approach. Charge for the Companion App Service program, and leave the various type of mobile device apps free. That is the most sensible thing you can do from a consumer point of view.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:13 am

That approach makes some sense, but i bet (not that it can be proven) there would be less sales (and not just from multi-device people).

It's like it takes more effort to buy a pc program vs a phone app. A single click vs. an account, a credit card, a download, an install.......

But whatever. I'm sure their price structure is set already.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:04 am

aeblank wrote:That approach makes some sense, but i bet (not that it can be proven) there would be less sales (and not just from multi-device people).

It's like it takes more effort to buy a pc program vs a phone app. A single click vs. an account, a credit card, a download, an install.......

But whatever. I'm sure their price structure is set already.
Valid points.

wally007

Post by wally007 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 am

First of all, this is not possible with iOS store restrictions and I'm not sure about W7Phone market place but I'd gather they restrict it just as well. ( income generated outside of app store to use iOS app ( and bypasing App store billing is big no-go. Why do you think ALL streaming Apps have FREE SERVER, but paid iOS app ? )

Second of all, it takes time to develop on 3 separate platforms. Therefore 3 PAID apps is only thing that makes sense.

IF i buy Creative Suite from Abobe for Mac, I can not use Windows version and vica versa.... I can EXCHANGE it ( one-time offer btw ) with Adobe but this is done via their official support bypassing any restriction App stores have.

Third of all, splitting household into 3 digial eco-systems is not very wise and if you thought developers would be giving their apps away just because you bought different version then you're in for dissapointment.

By the way, Remote Potato was 6 bucks and it hardly ever worked for more than just fun experiment. Reason why app is left for dead is because it did not generate enough revenue to justify further development.

I hope Ceton prices the app so they can continue to further support it...

docmattman wrote:

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm fine with whatever. I'm sure it won't be like Slingbox app. They charged $30 for it, and then never updated with any fixes or enhancement after official release. Unless you count their tablet version that would cost you another $30. Not that I use my slingbox anymore, but if I ever purchase another app from them I'm backing it up before I get a refund - since you won't ever get updates anyway.

Unethical I know, but so is charging an additional $30 for the same software slightly modified for a bigger screen. And just for the record, I buy tons of android apps, and don't do that.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:16 pm

I agree this should be part of Ceton's income stream. It is also a very important part of their competitive strategy. To get more people to invest in Ceton products (Q, echo, and InfiniTV), they need these apps to compete with the cableco DVRs. The good news is their product will so much better than the others. Ca't wait for DRM streaming personally and happy to pay for that.
Greg

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:04 am

New website up and running http://www.CetonCompanion.com
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:36 am

Motz wrote:Tuesday is the plan 100% for android and wp7. We are still waiting upon apple for iOS.

It's tuesday, should I stay up later or go to sleep? :P

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 am

We have a few more things to finalize. We are aiming for tomorrow night or wednesday midday.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Is there a charge for this app?

It is on your "Buy Now" tab on your web page but no price is listed?

jbears3

Post by jbears3 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 pm

I am fairly certain they are waiting to post cost until the official release.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 pm

jbears3 wrote:I am fairly certain they are waiting to post cost until the official release.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Well, I'll just say that I'd be willing to pay maybe $20.00 for the software on the PC, plus maybe another $2 or $3 for each phone app. Any more than that, and I'd have to do some serious thinking.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 pm

I agree... I think $20 for the app is the sweetspot, though honestly I'd pay more for it, especially if we do eventually see some Music/Pictures integration and streaming support (all of which on their roadmap according to Motz). IMO, I think Ceton would be short changing themselves in the sub $5 category - but won't complain if that's the case :)