Ceton Previews Multi-Room DVR!!!

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Wolfshadw

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Wolfshadw » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Anyone hear about this competing technology?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/whitem ... 2012-04-18

nevermind

-Wolf sends

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey guys, I am back from Vegas and back to work on apps. I will be doing more hands on with the Android app and the iOS in the upcoming weeks. I just wrote up this one for how to record tv. It is more on WP7, but you can get a good feeling of the grid guide on android:
http://cetoncorp.com/blog/companion-app ... record-tv/
I Write, Code, and Tweet

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Wow, just read through 21 pages. Lots of great info.

First of all, let me just say that I'm thrilled to see TGB.tv back. If I'd know the site was reinvented I would have been back ages ago.

More to the topic at hand though...

About 18 months ago I was talking with a buddy about starting up a company and making some appliances based around the ceton tuners, but of course we never got it off the ground. However, the Q and the Echo are almost identical to what we were looking at for two of our devices. (not accusing anyone, as its a pretty obvious idea, but it just struck me as odd, how similar our ideas were on a lot of details) So kudos to ceton for coming through on what should be a great pair of products for a very wanting market.

I tend to agree with some of the folks on here that their focus should be on keeping the devices as "tight" as possible for the non-enthusiast market, but I don't think it would hurt to have the "broken glass" approach to support. In fact the "broken glass" folks are often your early adopters too so it might help to get a foothold in the market.

A few other things to share with the guys at ceton since you've already made it this far with the same line of thinking that I started with...

My buddy and I also discussed two other devices/appliances that we thought would make good companions to the Q/Echo. The first was an integrated cable modem/router/moca bridge. Your market is already geared towards cable subscribers so most will have cable internet. The probably don't have a moca bridge though, and lets face it the cost of the router (with ethernet and wifi to be compatible with existing networks) should be negligible, and that way you have one internet appliance that has a power cord and a coax cord and you're up and running. Wifi, like always would require a little configuration, but as far as getting your AV network up and running its a plug and go solution. The second device was basically a stripped down receiver/amp that could be a companion to the Q, most likely in the same form factor. Since the Q in theory would be an all-in-one device, you wouldn't really need multiple inputs or a fancy display, just the hardware to decode the common audio formats and a 7.1 amp. for the system in a box people it wouldn't have to be earthshakingly powerful. In theory it wouldn't need any controls at all as everything could be done via HDMI-CEC and all you'd need on the back is power, HDMI-in, HDMI-out and the speaker terminals. Support shouldn't be a big issue for the amp, but the router might need some support. I suppose that could be a "reseller only" option

Between those two and ceton's upcoming devices they should make a remarkable easy to install "just add TV" (and speakers) solution for the non techie crowd.

I know, it'll never happen, but I'm just throwing it out there for whoever. Half my dream is already coming to fruition... might as well toss the other half out there in case anyone wants to run with it.

So all of that being said, I'll definitely by getting several Echos when they're released and probably be recommending the Q to several others.

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Oh, and one more thing for the "feature request" list....

Proper subtitle support for the Echo!

I hate having to re-encode just to add hardcoded subs for my extenders.

Please and Thank you. :)

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:07 pm

I like the idea of a combination cable modem and Moca box. Especially with moca, there are very few players in the market, so there is much room for others. However, if it were me, I wouldn't touch the wireless router market with a ten-foot pole. It just seems like so much has to be integrated into a router. And plus, if the big players (netgear, belkin, linksys) can't produce a reliable router, then it can't be an easy prospect. When 20% of the reviews for your product segment are one star, I'd avoid it.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:35 pm

I see what you're saying mark, and I agree to an extent... that's why I made the comment about the router being a reseller-only option. I don't think it's that hard to make a wifi router that works well (I have experience with several linksys and netgear routers and nary a problem) but I do think it's difficult to get non techie people to configure them. If resellers/installers were setting them up I doubt you'd ever hear a word about them.

Realistically, I'm sure that it isn't a market ceton wants to get into anyway, but I just think it would be a good companion to their existing lineup.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm

makryger wrote:I like the idea of a combination cable modem and Moca box. Especially with moca, there are very few players in the market, so there is much room for others. However, if it were me, I wouldn't touch the wireless router market with a ten-foot pole. It just seems like so much has to be integrated into a router. And plus, if the big players (netgear, belkin, linksys) can't produce a reliable router, then it can't be an easy prospect. When 20% of the reviews for your product segment are one star, I'd avoid it.
It's not hard to do. But when you're trying to do it to sell it for ten bucks, yeah, it's hard to do.

The new Moxi stuff put out by Arris and being installed by the cableo includes cable modem with WiFi and MOCA. Seems to work fine, and solves a bunch of problems.

That all being said, if I were having it, I would disable the wifi and continue to use my Airport Extreme...which is well built and has a good feature set.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Streaming media over wireless is the problem. A big can of worms to have to support.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Streaming media over wireless is the problem. A big can of worms to have to support.
Well it wouldn't be a problem for Ceton as neither the Q nor the Edge support wifi iirc, and if the user wants to stream to some other device, that's their problem. I was just suggesting including wifi so people could still connect their laptop or cell phone to their home network. But if Ceton was actually interested and decided to make it without wifi, I certainly wouldn't complain.

And my apologies for sidetracking the thread, didn't mean to take it off on this tangent.

Oldmajor

Post by Oldmajor » Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 pm

I may have to go back and read over the 21 pages, but was anyting said about streaming apps that will be built in (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, etc)? While I love my HTPC, my Xbox 360 is becoming the more capable device for media content. Since I got the Xfinity app and HBOGo, its far easier for me to use the Xbox to get all my content than it is on my HTPC.

lucidrenegade

Post by lucidrenegade » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Any possibility that this will be launched (or upgraded) with Windows 8 Embedded? Just curious.

gcw07

Post by gcw07 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:47 am

lucidrenegade wrote:Any possibility that this will be launched (or upgraded) with Windows 8 Embedded? Just curious.
Doubtful. But since WMC is exactly the same within Windows 7 and Windows 8 there is really no need to have it run Windows 8.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:15 pm

gcw07 wrote:Doubtful. But since WMC is exactly the same within Windows 7 and Windows 8 there is really no need to have it run Windows 8.
Not "exactly" the same. We FINALLY got that MUCH NEEDED "CC" button in the 2' UI!!!!!!
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?