Old components lying around, I need a project.

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Jade10145

HTPC Specs: Show details

Old components lying around, I need a project.

Post by Jade10145 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Hey guys,

So I have quite a few old components laying around and I am looking for another project to extend the functionality of WMC into other rooms. I am looking for ideas :P

Old Hardware

Acer Aspire Revo 3600 running Win 7. This thing is pretty slow in all honesty. I believe it has one of the first Atom processors. Its a nettop. I used to run WMC on it but it was painfully slow. So I decided to build my own box instead.

An old LCD monitor. Still works, kinda ugly lol.

A WDTV Live box that I had bought initially to put in my bedroom. Problem was that I was intending on using wireless, but the wireless strength upstairs is pretty weak. On top of that I was attempting to stream HD video. HD video and wifi don't play so nice no matter how you cut it.

Various laptop hard drives, disk drives and other assorted hardware from laptops that I have scrapped.

A pair of old power line AV adapters.

Cables as far as the eye can see. HDMI, VGA, DVI cables all sitting in a box collecting dust. Assorted ethernet cables. Assorted audio cables.

Two TV's just begging for some sort of computer to be connected to.

Current hardware

An HP Mediasmart running WHS. All my movie rips etc are being stored there as well as all my recorded TV.
A HTPC. Has an i3 2100 and 8 gb ram. Win 7.
Centon infinitv usb hooked up to the HTPC.

So anyone have some idea's of what to do with some of the old hardware? I hate throwing things away, obviously :P . But my closet has started to become a AV junkyard and I need to find a purpose for this stuff.
Tyler Durden: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun May 20, 2012 3:21 am

There is always eBay my friend.. You can sell off the old to help fund new projects. Have any family members that need PC upgrades?.. It's nice to have a few spare parts for backup and troubleshooting purposes as well but it sounds like you have quite a bit of excess.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:58 pm

+1 on the eBay advice, old computer stuff is neither use nor ornament for us geeky types... My 1st gen core i3 rig has got to go already!!
Lee

fventura03

Post by fventura03 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:56 am

WDTV Live - Load WDlxTV on it (http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv/) and buy a usb external enclosure for one of your many drives and use the WDTV Live as a Torrent box, FTP, or just backup to keep recordings, or anything on.

Aspire One is still good enough for watching HD Video, hook it up to one of your spare monitors as a 2nd Window Media Center box. or load linux on it to learn and mess around with.

Jade10145

Post by Jade10145 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:41 pm

fventura03 wrote:WDTV Live - Load WDlxTV on it (http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv/) and buy a usb external enclosure for one of your many drives and use the WDTV Live as a Torrent box, FTP, or just backup to keep recordings, or anything on.

Aspire One is still good enough for watching HD Video, hook it up to one of your spare monitors as a 2nd Window Media Center box. or load linux on it to learn and mess around with.
I have been thinking about using this machine as another WMC client but the issue is that it's quite slow. So I wonder if there is anyway to speed things up? Kill some processes, uninstall some programs? Anything else?

You are all right, I do have quite a bit of excess and ebay may be the best place to go with it. That being said I would love if I could get this little aspire to run WMC cleanly. I may be dreaming. If I can't get it to run WMC cleanly then I might repurpose it for something else. Just want to try WMC first.
Tyler Durden: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

fventura03

Post by fventura03 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 am

not sure if its good enough for WMC. sell all the parts and build yourself a Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 Celeron Dual core. I built two @ about $150 each, which are plenty for WMC and 1080p media.

Celeron G540 2.5ghz
ASRock H61M-HVS
4gb ram
320gb hd on one, 80gb on the other
Windows 7 Ultimate