Digital Stereo amp HELP !

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
cw-kid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Digital Stereo amp HELP !

Post by cw-kid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi

Was hoping some one can please help? Trying to fix a problem for someone. He has a Windows 7 HTPC with an Asus Xonar DX2 Sound Card and a Naim Supernait digital stereo amplifier. This Naim Supernait amp only supports PCM stereo and nothing else. When playing DVD's in either WMP or MCE if the DVD movie has Dolby Digital for example you just hear a digital clicking sound on the speakers, the PC must be outputting Dolby Digital down the digital coax cable and the amp can't handle it.

How would we make the PC / Asus sound card only output PCM stereo? Looking in the Asus Xonar software its all set to PCM already. I've tried with and without the Shark007 Codec Pack / LAV Filter makes no difference.

Other video files play fine and audio playing on speakers OK, but only if the video file only contains a stereo sound track.
Video files or DVD discs that have surround sound tracks in them and the amp does this clicking noise.

I've never setup a stereo amplifier with a digital cable connection before, as I would just normally use an analogue 3.5 mm connection.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Go through the Sound applet in Control Panel and look at the properties for the Xonar S/PDIF output. In the Supported Formats tab, uncheck everything, save the changes, and try playback again. If that doesn't work, go back to the Xonar S/PDIF properties, go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the boxes for exclusive mode.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 pm

richard1980 wrote:Go through the Sound applet in Control Panel and look at the properties for the Xonar S/PDIF output. In the Supported Formats tab, uncheck everything, save the changes, and try playback again. If that doesn't work, go back to the Xonar S/PDIF properties, go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the boxes for exclusive mode.
Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean in the Windows Playback Devices - Select the Digital Output device aka the Asus Xonar and uncheck the Dolby Digital and DTS check boxes? I just thought about doing that but haven't tried it yet.

I did not try unchecking the exclusive mode but will also try that. I just want the PC / Xonar card to output only PCM stereo and nothing else. In the Xonar card software utility PCM and 2.0 stereo are already selected.

I probably won't be able to remote on to this PC again until Sunday now so will let you know.
Cheers
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Yeah...go to Control Panel, then Sound, then open the properties for the Xonar S/PDIF output, then go to the Supported Formats tab. I'm fairly certain this will work, so you may not need to disable exclusive mode.
Capture.JPG

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm

OK excellent will try it, not sure why I didn't think to try that sooner been going round in circles.

Cheers
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks Richard

Unchecking DD & DTS did the trick he can now play DVD movies in WMP and WMC and the amp no longer freaks out.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle