26%
Maybe
30%

Total votes: 27

deihmos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8 to cost 39.99 included WMC

Post by deihmos » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Microsoft announced a promotion to purchase a Win 8 upgrade for 39.99 and it will include WMC. Would you upgrade?

We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

When you use Windows.com to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant makes upgrading simple by walking you through the upgrade process step-by-step from purchase to download and then of course installation.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bl ... 39-99.aspx

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:37 pm

I said maybe. I may for the non HTPCs while I am still leaning to keeping windows 7 on the HTPC. The fact that the startup options have changed is one of many reasons why I would keep my HTPC on Win7 at this time.

(Metro Live TV and Metro DVR would make me re-consider).

madmaso

Post by madmaso » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:39 pm

I will because of the support curve. I have an ancient box in the basement running VMC and most of the time when I find an exciting new add-on for my main 7MC it won't work on Vista.

There'll likely be changes that rankle at first but I think long-term it'll be less painful to just embrace them and move on.

Besides, with the Metro UI in there, there might be room to make applications more remote-friendly than they were with trying to kludge them into the main MC interface.

tommo

Post by tommo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 am

I think this is good news when you consider the current cost of an upgrade to Home Premium is around £80.

DVB Link recently announced recording without media center center so I think there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel... So i really hope we start to see some remote friendly metro apps soon.

trooper11

Post by trooper11 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Great deal, Ill definitely be upgrading my non-htpcs

I'm still on the fence about my htpcs. I will probably go ahead and purchase the upgrades because they are so cheap. Now whether I will actually do the upgrade immediately it up in the air. Its likely that I wait for some possible metro apps to take the place of wmc functions.

Ack

Post by Ack » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm

trooper11 wrote:Great deal, Ill definitely be upgrading my non-htpcs

I'm still on the fence about my htpcs. I will probably go ahead and purchase the upgrades because they are so cheap. Now whether I will actually do the upgrade immediately it up in the air. Its likely that I wait for some possible metro apps to take the place of wmc functions.
+1

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 pm

trooper11 wrote:Great deal, Ill definitely be upgrading my non-htpcs

+1

I find it interesting that Microsoft seems to be pushing Windows 8 Pro so hard - first on Surface and now as part of the upgrade deal. Plain old Windows 8 is not getting a look in. I wonder why?
Geoff Coupe

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:32 am

carljanderson wrote:I said maybe. I may for the non HTPCs while I am still leaning to keeping windows 7 on the HTPC. The fact that the startup options have changed is one of many reasons why I would keep my HTPC on Win7 at this time.

(Metro Live TV and Metro DVR would make me re-consider).
I agree with this.
I may pick it up b/c of the reduced entry cost and hold on to it a while (assuming I will still be able to use it to upgrade & add mce later). I have 2 win7 mce's & 3 win7 laptops to consider whether or not its a benefit to do so ($200 vs $0). If the cost drops further (unlikely) I'd have a hard time not doing it. Can't screw with the win7 waf without a good reason.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:36 am

I was messing with windows 8 today and I'm sticking with 7 unless some changes are made. As it is it takes more steps to do things in 8 compared to 7. I'm not digging that childish looking metro ui either.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 am

FYI-- I was just reading that Microsoft will be allowing people who have installed the Win8 Release Candidate to also purchase the upgrade for $40 bucks.
They've been unclear if the upgrade will be granted to OEM PCs, or Retail Only PCs. If they don't allow the OEM upgrades, you may want to install the RC just to make sure you get the upgrade. Just thinking out loud. :)
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?