Application Failure

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
btilus

HTPC Specs: Show details

Application Failure

Post by btilus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:16 am

I'm running Windows 7 and then using the xbox extender to play videos that were recorded using windows media center.

When I connect to media center on the xbox everything works fine for the very first recorded program that I play, but if I try to then switch to play a second item the screen either goes black or the blue background color of Media Center and freezes.

After about 10 min the following message appears:

Application Failure
A critical Windows Media Center process has failed. Restart the computer and try again. If the problem persists, contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance.

So if I go and restart the computer then go through the exact same process I'll get the same results, one program will play fine, but the second I try to go to another program I'll eventually get this error.

Any ideas?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Start by deleting the the XBOX Extender from WMC. On the Windows 7 system, right click on the Computer icon and select Manager. Navigate to Local Users--> Users and delete the Mcx-1 user. Then re-add the XBOX in WMC.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

btilus

Post by btilus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Scallica wrote:Start by deleting the the XBOX Extender from WMC. On the Windows 7 system, right click on the Computer icon and select Manager. Navigate to Local Users--> Users and delete the Mcx-1 user. Then re-add the XBOX in WMC.
I'm assuming that by "deleting" the extender from WMC that you mean disconnect, which I've now done.

Went into users and I don't have a Mcx-1 user. I've got Administrator, Guest, HomeGroupUser$, and media (which is my main user account). Which should I delete?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Disconnecting/deleting the extender should have removed the Mcx-1 user, but it is good idea to verify. Try re-adding the XBOX to WMC.

btilus

Post by btilus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Scallica wrote:Disconnecting/deleting the extender should have removed the Mcx-1 user, but it is good idea to verify. Try re-adding the XBOX to WMC.
Re-added the xbox. Still the same issue.

However I did discover that on the times when the screen goes black (but not when blue) that I was once able to use the fast forward button and actually see some visuals of the show. And when I hit play, the static visual would stay (from whatever was on screen when I stopped fast forwarding) and I could actually see the play-head moving, but no sound and no video.

I should also add that the rest of the system works just fine. I can jump back into the menu and navigate without any issues.

Next steps?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I would try re-installing Media Center.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reins ... windows-7/

btilus

Post by btilus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Scallica wrote:I would try re-installing Media Center.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reins ... windows-7/
Gave that a shot. Went through the entire process and then re-connected. Same results, works for the first video but then stops working.

Any other ideas?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:15 am

Try running the system file checker (sfc /scannow). Uninstall any third party codecs. If that doesn't work, it is time for a clean install; keep in mind any recordings that have DRM will no longer be playable.