Ceton InfiniTV4 + Tuning Adapter Issues

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:33 pm

That's interesting information. Good that you got it working. Hang on to the new USB controller... you never know when you might need it.

I just checked my services, and they are not setup with any delay or dependencies. I suppose yours could just be starting the service faster than most people's PC. The TA service on mine is setup to restart automatically after a 1 minute delay if it fails. Is yours set to restart?

The recovery tab in mine looks like this:

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:21 pm

It is set to restart, but it wasn't failing in the sense that the service was crashing (or otherwise shutting down with an error code). It was simply not functioning until I manually stopped it and started it. I imagine if I could identify which service(s) it was relying on, I could simply add those to the dependencies, but the delayed start works just as well and requires less work on my part. :D

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:14 am

Ugh... The tuning adapter issues continue...

So, now that I have it functioning, I'm trying to turn my firewall back on. However, despite the network setup wizard claiming it's configuring my firewall (and me verifying that all of the ports specified here are allowed), if I don't have the firewall off, nothing works.

So, does anyone have a list of programs/services/ports and whatever else you need to bust open to let this bloody thing work? Leaving the firewall disabled is not an option.

KHTPC75

Post by KHTPC75 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 am

Ceiu wrote:Ugh... The tuning adapter issues continue...

So, now that I have it functioning, I'm trying to turn my firewall back on. However, despite the network setup wizard claiming it's configuring my firewall (and me verifying that all of the ports specified here are allowed), if I don't have the firewall off, nothing works.

So, does anyone have a list of programs/services/ports and whatever else you need to bust open to let this bloody thing work? Leaving the firewall disabled is not an option.

Code: Select all

Name       UDP/TCP    Port Range   In/Out
-------------------------------------------
RTP        UDP        5001-5016    IN
SSDP       UDP        1900         IN/OUT
RTSP       TCP        554          OUT
UPnP       TCP        2869         IN/OUT
WMDRM      UDP        5757-5772    OUT

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:51 am

Classy, but that's the exact list I linked to in my own post and, as I stated, it's not enough. There is more going on than just what is listed there.

KHTPC75

Post by KHTPC75 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:19 am

Ceiu wrote:Classy, but that's the exact list I linked to in my own post and, as I stated, it's not enough. There is more going on than just what is listed there.
I don't know what to tell you but that's all I have in mine and it works perfectly fine.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:39 pm

What firewall are you using?

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Windows Firewall with the default behavior on both inbound and outbound set to "block."

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:35 am

I think I've got it. I made sure Network Discovery was enabled on the machines that utilize the InfiniTV and it seems to be working now. Almost got everything perfect now. Only small annoyances remain:

- When the machine with the InfiniTV restarts, I have to go through the network configuration and tv setup on other machines that use it as a network tuner.
- Occasionally, the host machine will popup a dialog saying "CableCARD detected. Would you like to run the CableCARD setup?" even though the TV is still gleefully playing in the background. If I go through the setup or cancel it, nothing changes -- TV still functions fine.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 am

OK then. I see you're a security Nazi like me. Well... I took everyone's advice and installed the default Windows Firewall on my HTPC (which leaves outbound connections wide open). All my other machines are locked down so tight they squeak, but my HTPC is nothing more than an HTPC... so I went with the default install of Windows Firewall, and other M$ products instead of my usual, paranoid configuration.

I salute your attempt at getting it setup with tight security. I hope you get it working well... and post your settings! However, if you eventually give up, the default installation works fine.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 am

As for your "CableCARD detected" message, see the following post:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =5&p=12851

For your problem with the host machine restarting, and the client machines needing a new setup... I would suspect that the host machine's tuner is setup with a dynamic IP address. I don't have any experience with this, but is there a way to setup a static IP for each tuner?

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:57 am

It's technically dynamic, but I've assigned it an IP statically on the DHCP server. So, that's not changing. As far as the CableCARD detected prompt, I haven't seen it again since the first few times it came up. I'm hoping it fixed itself. For me, I don't have the machine going to sleep (can't, due to the network tuner thing), so I guess we'll have to assume it's when the card itself is crashing. Hopefully that keeps itself to a minimum.

Re: security: I actually want to keep the HTPC locked down tighter than the rest of the domain, since this is, effectively, a public computer. I don't mind if my (computer illiterate) friends try to check facebook or whatever it is friends do with friends' computers these days, but I do mind if they try to install anything or change anything. As a result, I have UAC on the "paranoid" setting and the firewall locked down to allow only the bare minimums. I've even considered throwing some auto-imaging software on it, but that's probably overkill. Also, expensive.

I suppose the last piece of the HTPC puzzle is finding a good remote. I have one of the gray MS MCE remotes where you can clumsily program the power and volume buttons, but I'd really like to change the mute button and change the source on my TV. Preferably without losing the WMC buttons/functionality. Suggestions?

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:01 pm

I recently installed a Ceton PCIe card with a TA. In doing so I first 'tested' the channels as only a handful were not tuning. I set up the TA (Cisco) according to the Ceton 14 page guide on their support site: put a splitter on the co-ax, one to the TA, the other to the Ceton Card, and, usb from TA to computer. This differs from how Cablevision recommends setting them up. Tested the channels which I couldn't tune prior to the TA addition, and still couldn't tune them.

I then switched the set up to how the cable co. recommends, co-ax to TA (in), co-ax out of TA to Ceton card (no splitter) and the channels tuned perfectly (except that blotchy thing that people complain about on HBO). I recently read a post on AVS which stated this set up is not recommended, the Ceton way is the better way. My question is this, how many of you have split the signal, one to the TA and one to the card and if so, are you getting the SDV channels?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Ceiu,

Many people use Logitech Harmony remotes and like them. I use an Acoustic Research AR-RX18G and I'm happy with it. The main difference between the AR remote and the Harmony, is that Harmony keeps track of which device is powered "on" or "off", and the AR remote does not. The AR remote can be found online for about $50.

This "power state tracking" can help with devices that only have a power toggle command (one button turns the unit on and off), but I've never had a remote with power state tracking and it works fine for me without that feature. Of course, if your devices have separate ON and OFF buttons, it makes things a lot easier. Over the years, I've had both kinds of devices... those with only a power "toggle" button, and those with separate buttons. I don't miss power state tracking.

Often times, even when your original remote only has a single button for on/off, the database for the Harmony and the AR remote will have separate commands for on and off. All of my current equipment has separate on/off commands, including Media Center.

In response to mattiedread: I have mine on a splitter. I am also using the output from the TA as input to one of my QAM tuners. I suspect that your signal strength or quality is marginal, and when you add a splitter, you are dropping the signal strength down below what the Ceton card can tune. Ceton recommends that your signal strength should be between -10 and +10 dB. Some folks say it should be between -7 and +7. Your SNR should be above 32, according to Ceton. I recommend 35 or better. If your signal is not within these parameters, you need to get that fixed. And... signal strength and SNR can vary from one channel to another, so it's a good idea to check it on a variety of channels. Higher frequencies tend to have more problems than lower frequencies, but it can go the other way too.

Ghmpin

Post by Ghmpin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:49 am

Sorry for the dumb question. I have the same problem, and how do is setup either the delay or the restart on the ta service?

Thanks in advance.

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:52 am

Changing the service startup type to "Automatic (Delayed)" was a workaround for the actual issue. It works, but there's a better solution that doesn't require the delay.

From my ticket with Ceton support:
"I suspect your USB host is taking longer than normal to initialize and may not be finished when the TA service tries to us it.

Can you ensure you have the below hotfixes installed? (Note: Only one is a USB hotfix but I'd like you to install any that are installable)

ACPI\PCI KB2601456 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2601456
CPU AMD KB2645594 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594
USB KB2621491 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621491

Thanks,"

Keep in mind that due to hardware differences, the above may not work for you. If so, you may need to fall back to the service delay method. To do so, do the following:

Click start (Windows button) and in the search box area type "services.msc" (without quotes). You may need administrative access to do this, so click "Okay" if it asks. Next, in the services list, look for the service titled "Ceton Tuning Adapter Host Service" and double click it. This will bring up the properties window. About halfway down the properties window, there will be a drop-down list titled "Startup type" that should be set to "Automatic." Change this to "Automatic (Delayed Start)," then click okay and close the services list -- the delayed startup will take effect next time you restart your machine. Also, if you need to restart the service for any reason, you can do so by clicking the stop and start buttons in the properties window. [Note: There are commands you can type into a terminal to do the same stuff, but if you're not familiar with the whole services thing, stick with the GUI]

The above only works on Vista and 7, since XP and friends do not have a delayed startup type. So if you're on XP, I don't have any tips for ya (sorry).

Good luck.