Tried Win8 today. I'm hooked!

brantmacga

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tried Win8 today. I'm hooked!

Post by brantmacga » Sat May 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Finally gave the Win8 CP a try.

I -REALLY- like it. Regardless of changes to WMC, I will be upgrading to this OS.

I've been using WP7 for 6/mo now, and Win8 is mostly the same experience. Most of my desktop time at home is the same as what I do at work daily on my WP7 phone; email, calendar, weather (I work in construction; always keeping an eye on it), messaging, etc. . . . When I logged into the new Win8 desktop, everything on my phone was right there in the tiles on Win8. Didn't have to open any browser and go to different web pages to access the information I need; its all there. I really like the skydrive integration also. I just got the Win7 app last week but haven't used it much; I usually access through my Hotmail web interface.

Also, for those of you that don't have WP7, there is a really cool app called 'xbox companion', and its built-in to Win8. I have an xbox at every tv in the house (used as extenders for WMC), and this has been a really cool app to use. You can browse or search for content on the phone, select it, and it loads up on your xbox. You can also browse and launch your games through the companion app.

Win8 is going to be badass on a tablet or all-in-one computer. I'm on board.

also, one issue I've seen is that I can't download any guide data for WMC. Not sure what's going on there; it says check the logs.

and I did notice there is now a 'CC' button that I don't remember seeing in Win7 MC. I recall some screenshots from Win8 previews that showed a "subtitles" button. I'd really like to see a way to add and load subtitles for .wtv files (created from ripped DVD or blu ray) and such. If its possible to do with Win7 MC right now I haven't seen it. That's the feature I want most.

anyhow, first impression of Windows 8 is really good right now.

tommo

Post by tommo » Sun May 06, 2012 10:32 am

The subtitles button... I was surprised at that because it is a change, albeit a minor one which made a lot of people think that they have gone back into the code. Seems such a small thing to add makes me wonder why they bothered in the first place given how much they care about MC now.

Windows 8 with remote friendly metro would/will be the ultimate media center. But it all depends on whether the apps and the start menu are remote friendly, we'll see a lot of apps (a lot more than in media center - which I can't see many developers bothering with anymore) which will be great and given they're desgined with tablets in mind will look great on a big tele.

I guess we should be happy with media center being available in win8 though..... I can't help thinking that if it was not there at all we'd get 3rd parties rushing to start making metro app based media center equivalents for things like music, photo, video and maybe tv.

cjmccarthy72

Post by cjmccarthy72 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:04 pm

I guess the subtitles button might be something to do with improving access issues or making sure they are compliant with disability legislation- i.e. in UK you have to demonstrate as a business you are meeting needs of the disabled.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 am

U know wot, the remote integration on the release preview is nearly there. Map the green button to the start menu add a metro tile for tv. Get metrofied mediabrowser and this is a winner. Dunno if I'm imagining it but it seems a lot quicker than w7 too ...
Lee