Ceton or HDHomerun Prime?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
jedimaster109

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton or HDHomerun Prime?

Post by jedimaster109 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Ok, long time reader first time poster...
I'm currently trying to decide on what to do, I currently have a TiVo Elite or XL4 now, and want to switch back to either a Ceton Setup or a HDHomerun setup.
I actually just bought a 3-Tuner Prime off of Woot the other day to play around with. But I'm debating on what I should do.

Stick with the PRIME and get a Mac Mini Running WMC and an External 2TB drive.

Or

Build a HTPC and still have the choice of a Internal Ceton or stick with the Prime.

I love the Mac Mini Size and no noise at all. Price is a a wash really.

And if I did stick with the Prime I would be getting a second for 6 Tuners.

What do you recommend? I'm still waiting for my Cable Card to come so I haven't had a chance to try the Prime out yet. Is it a lot faster then the Ceton, that's what it sounds like from reading the message boards here.
What do people prefer?

Or wait for the Ceton Q? LOL

A little help needed. Thanks for all the input!

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Wait for Ceton Q. Haha. That's what I am doing. I have HDHR Prime and love it. No issues since day 1

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:49 pm

If you search, you can find lots of my posts about the Ceton tuner. I had one, and I got a HDHR Prime to see if it would solve the "macroblocking" problem I was having. I found that my issue was caused by the graphics adapter (I actually tried two different GPU's and both had the same problem)... so I had incorrectly blamed the Ceton tuner.

However, now that I've used the HDHR Prime for a while, I like it MUCH better than the Ceton. I, like you, bought one on Woot the other day... so now I have two HDHR Primes and I will be selling my Ceton soon.

The HDHRP tunes much faster and is just more stable than the Ceton ever was. Also, if you need to have a Tuning Adapter (you will need one if your cable company uses Switched Digital Video), the HDHRP makes it really easy to hide the TA in a closet somewhere.

jedimaster109

Post by jedimaster109 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Ok, well I have gone in a complete different direction :)

Went with a custom built HTPC

Ivy Bridge i5 3570k w/ HD4000
Z77 MSI Motherboard
8GB DDR3 Memory
2TB Green Drive

This way I have all option open to me, and will be future ready for when I expand and start using extenders, etc.

sherr

Post by sherr » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Ceton does a good job.
If you wait, I think I read they are going to offer a 6 tuner using one Cable Card.