Strange Issue with SSD

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
tombardo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange Issue with SSD

Post by tombardo » Sun May 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Last night my WMC computer randomly shut off (it had been running like a champ for almost 3 months with no issues). When it went to reboot it could not find the OS drive (a 64 GB Crucial M4 SSD). It did not show up as being connected in the BIOS even. I opened up the case and repositioned the OS drive. This seemed to fix things. However the same thing has happened again twice. Each time leaving the computer off for a while allows it to reboot. All of my hardware monitors are green for the motherboard and memory (temp, voltage, etc.). When I try to view the SMART info of the drive it says things are ok (short and extended tests both pass), but most of the values make no sense (almost all the values read as exactly 100 - including temp, but I think that's because SSDs don't have temperature sensors). There is nothing in the event logs for hardware. Could it be a bad cable or SATA port? In my repositioning I did switch SATA power cables but not the SATA cable itself or the port it was using. Anyone have any ideas?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun May 06, 2012 6:55 pm

I would start by checking if there is a firmware update available for your SSD and then updating the firmware.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Usually updating firmware on SSD's blank them, so make sure you have a good backup if you want to keep the data- if you can get at the data.
It could be bad cable/sata port. If you can swap both out to rule them out.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun May 06, 2012 9:11 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Usually updating firmware on SSD's blank them, so make sure you have a good backup if you want to keep the data- if you can get at the data.
It could be bad cable/sata port. If you can swap both out to rule them out.
+1.. Some Firmware updates for SSD do wipe the dirve, others will not.. Make sure you read the "read me" file with any firmware update to find out if it is destructive or not to your data on the drive. Before you do any firmware updates back up the drive.. In case you need to restore it, this is always good practice when messing with any storage drive. Especially the OS drive!
You could have many issues from a bad SSD, to a bad SATA cable or bad power supply connection.. Try swaping cables, ports, etc. one at a time to try and determine what is causing the issue. If moving the cables around made things work again i would say it might be a cable or port issue.. hopefully it's something simple.
Good Luck
newfiend~

NWW

Post by NWW » Sun May 06, 2012 10:20 pm

The m4 had an issue that affected it after an exact number of hours (can't remember how many) that has been acknowledged and fixed by crucial in less than a week. Upgrade the firmware and you're good to go.

Sent from my 7 Mozart T8698 using Board Express

assassin

Post by assassin » Sun May 06, 2012 11:53 pm

NWW wrote:The m4 had an issue that affected it after an exact number of hours (can't remember how many) that has been acknowledged and fixed by crucial in less than a week. Upgrade the firmware and you're good to go.

Sent from my 7 Mozart T8698 using Board Express
Its around 5200 hours.

Its an easy update. Just download it and install from your desktop.

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

tombardo

Post by tombardo » Mon May 07, 2012 12:59 am

After checking my drive I just hit 5216 hours of operation. I've updated the firmware and so far it seems to be working. I'll post back once its had a more thorough test. Thanks for all the help.

STC

Post by STC » Mon May 07, 2012 1:45 am

Yes this is good to know thanks. I have an M4.

[edit - wow - 5120 hours on it! - Gotta love the members on this forum, thanks again! :clap: ]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

tombardo

Post by tombardo » Mon May 07, 2012 2:52 pm

My computer stayed up overnight so I'm convinced this has solved my issue. Thanks again to everyone.