Using WHS TV archive function and creating compressed copy

Talk about setting up your home network.
Jade10145

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using WHS TV archive function and creating compressed copy

Post by Jade10145 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi All,

I am in the process of finding the best method to convert .WTV files into another format that can be played by other devices. Namely a Asus Transformer running Android ICS.

Currently I am running a HTPC on the front end and a HP Mediasmart running Windows Home Server V1. With that being said, WHS allows you to archive .WTV's to the server and also lets you create a compressed copy in another format (Zune, Windows Mobile etc.)

The problem I'm running into is that the WHS does successfully archive the .WTV. I can see this under the activity tab. But it doesn't create a compressed copy even though it's set up to do so.

The settings are,

Create a compressed copy for= Zune
Save compressed copy to= Home Server Videos Folder.

From what I have read the issue stems from the fact that "Microsoft did not include the ability to decode the AC3 audio stream" Since most shows are in AC3, that's why the file wont convert. I have also read that this can be resolved by installing AC3 filter. http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2009/1 ... day-night/

I already have the Shark 007 Codec pack installed which I thought included an AC 3 codec. So my question is, will installing the additional AC3 filter screw anything up? I know I'm missing something in my thought process. Thanks for any help.
Tyler Durden: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?