Upgrading from HP MCE 2005 and Sony Trinitron

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
mapwu

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrading from HP MCE 2005 and Sony Trinitron

Post by mapwu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi,
I need advice about upgrading our media system. I just found the Green Button (Fantastic site!) and plan to spend time learning all I can. In the meantime, my current ideas for an upgrade are:

HP Pavilion h8-1273c computer (see below for specs) and a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, with three digital tuners. I favor HP systems because they can easily be "factory freshed" when things go bad, as they usually do after several years of Windows updates, using an image on a dedicated partition.
This system will be hooked to our primary TV, a HD Samsung plasma through the HDMI connection with the HP Pavilion.

My questions are:
1. The requirements for computer as specified to work with the HDHomeRun are:
a. Dual (or more) core processor. Does a 2nd Gen Intel Core i5-2320 fit this requirement?
b. Video card with support for hardware decoding and HDCP (NVIDIA 9500 or newer, ATI HD3000 or newer, or Intel HD Graphics). ATI GPUs prior to the HD5000 series and Intel Sandy bridge GPUs may have problems decoding some content including premium channes like HBO. Does the GeForce GT 520 meet these requirements?
c. 100 or 1000Mbit Ethernet network. How can I evaluate my wireless network speed to see if I need a new router/access point, or maybe even a wired connection based on the fact that we may use all 3 tuners at once on our many computers, ipads, and ipods?

2. We currently have three HP Pavilion Media Center PCs running Windows XP MCE 2005 SP3 with set top boxes, remotes and IR blasters. We use the DVR capabilities of our systems often, and want this to continue with any upgraded system. The new hardware (computer and network tuner) do not come with remotes and IR receivers. We will not need a set top box, as the HDHomeRun requires a cable card.
a. Can we use the old Windows XP Media Center remotes and IR receivers with the HP Pavilion h8-1273c computer, which runs Windows 7 Premium edition?
If not, what do others do out there?
b. Will the system be able to change channels for recording shows automatically, as we do now?

3. Is there a better alternative out there, and how do I learn about it? It seems that some company should provide an out-of-the box system similar to the HP Media Center computers previously; HP now does provide customized systems, but I think they still require set top boxes. I just want to continue with the same functionality we currently have: an off-the-shelf system that will play and record cable and allow remote control.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Processor and Memory
Processor Type: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320
Processor Speed: 3.00GHz
Cache: 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM): 10GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB)
Maximum Memory: 16GB
Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives
Hard Drive: 2TB 7200RPM Serial ATA
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner Write: 16x max DVD±R, 12x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x max CD-ROM
Graphics and Audio
Graphics: • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520 graphics card with 1GB DDR3 dedicated memory, DVI, VGA via adapter, and HDMI capabilities and support for Microsoft® DirectX® 11, and up to two monitors
• Up to 4095MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows® 7
Audio: • Beats Audio™ Studio Quality Sound
• High Definition Audio with up to 7.1 surround sound capabilities
Ethernet: Onboard 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Support
Wi-Fi: Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth: No
Modem: No
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Manufacturer Software: • HP LinkUp
• HP Premier Experience
• Windows Live™ Essentials 2011

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:34 pm

WIRE THE NETWORK.

Don't say we didn't tell you. You will futz with wireless, because you so desperately want it to work, but after much time and many disappointments you will come to realize that we were right. And you will never get back the time and blood pressure you wasted on trying to make wireless work.

The processor in the HP is fine.

The IR receiver/remotes should be fine. All you need is an RC6 setup. Nothing magic. Poke around here and see what others have done for remotes. I personally went with Logitech 300s, but my family seems to like the white (not black!) XBox Universal Media Remote.

But the crux of the discussion here is, what is your thought track on using three tuners and supplying TV to multiple outlets?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:38 pm

mapwu wrote:1. The requirements for computer as specified to work with the HDHomeRun are:
a. Dual (or more) core processor. Does a 2nd Gen Intel Core i5-2320 fit this requirement?
b. Video card with support for hardware decoding and HDCP (NVIDIA 9500 or newer, ATI HD3000 or newer, or Intel HD Graphics). ATI GPUs prior to the HD5000 series and Intel Sandy bridge GPUs may have problems decoding some content including premium channes like HBO. Does the GeForce GT 520 meet these requirements?
c. 100 or 1000Mbit Ethernet network. How can I evaluate my wireless network speed to see if I need a new router/access point, or maybe even a wired connection based on the fact that we may use all 3 tuners at once on our many computers, ipads, and ipods?
A. Yes
B. Yes
C. Abandon the idea of wireless. Switch to a wired network, either ethernet or MOCA.
mapwu wrote:2. We currently have three HP Pavilion Media Center PCs running Windows XP MCE 2005 SP3 with set top boxes, remotes and IR blasters. We use the DVR capabilities of our systems often, and want this to continue with any upgraded system. The new hardware (computer and network tuner) do not come with remotes and IR receivers. We will not need a set top box, as the HDHomeRun requires a cable card.
a. Can we use the old Windows XP Media Center remotes and IR receivers with the HP Pavilion h8-1273c computer, which runs Windows 7 Premium edition?
If not, what do others do out there?
b. Will the system be able to change channels for recording shows automatically, as we do now?
A. Yes
B. Yes, however you need to keep in mind that if you are using multiple computers, no one computer knows what the other computers are doing. So if 2 computers are hogging all the tuners, a recording on the 3rd computer will fail. The solution is to either be careful with tuner usage throughout the home or set up each computer to only be able to access specific tuners (done during initial tuner setup in WMC on each PC).
mapwu wrote:3. Is there a better alternative out there, and how do I learn about it? It seems that some company should provide an out-of-the box system similar to the HP Media Center computers previously; HP now does provide customized systems, but I think they still require set top boxes. I just want to continue with the same functionality we currently have: an off-the-shelf system that will play and record cable and allow remote control.
Ceton is currently developing the Q, which is a WMC-based consumer level DVR that has 6 tuners. It should be released later this year. Additionally, Whiteman Technologies has another similar device under development (although it uses SiliconDust tuners), but there is no projected release date.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:41 pm

I just want to continue with the same functionality we currently have: an off-the-shelf system that will play and record cable and allow remote control.
Well, the only thing off the shelf about your current HP 2005 MCE setup is the fact that you bought an already assembled computer from HP, and they assembled it with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition and a remote control. The remote control is an off the shelf item anyone can get. Back then not just anyone could get Media Center from Microsoft--it had to be from an approved system builder like HP--but nowadays it's included in every version of Windows. It's nothing special.

And you can replicate that today. Buy any HP you want, then add IR receiver/remote (if HP doesn't provide one "off the shelf" as part of your custom build) and a Ceton tuner card. Set it up, and voila--an off the shelf system that will play and record cable and allow remote control. Your HP will come with a version of Windows that includes Media Center, because all of them do now, and the only thing you'll have to add that isn't "off the shelf" is the tuner card.

You want to watch TV in other rooms? That's what Microsoft created extenders for. Once you buy the extender and plug it in and introduce it to Media Center, you're done. It's truly plug and play. You watch TV on the extender, live or recorded. It's just like you're sitting at the main HTPC. The idea is, you let one box have the tuning and recording responsibility. It manages the tuners all by itself. It manages sending the TV, live or recorded, out to whatever extender needs it at the time.

Don't go wireless, and don't try to micromanage "I want a separate Windows box on each TV, each recording its own thing, each with its own dedicated tuner". It's not necessary and you'll never be happy with that, because you won't reliably be able to share recordings to other TVs in the house. The centralized HTPC with extenders, now that's where it shines.

And regarding "appliance-like," consider that the Ceton Q will launch with that intent in mind. But if you mimic the Q at home, you get the same thing. Buy an HP with lots of storage, plug in the Ceton tuner card for $200, set up Media Center, then LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't try to make it do everything in your life. Let it be a DVR. Don't saddle it with tons of aftermarket software or non-DVR tasks. Turn auto updates off, don't let it go to sleep or standby, and you'll have a DVR that's every bit the appliance anything else is.

HP with lots of storage and a Ceton card, wired network, extenders at each remote TV. Voila. You're done.

You want to view your stuff on iPads and the like? Break the glass on your appliance-like 7MC box, and add Remote Potato. Works great, problem solved.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:14 am

I agree with Adam. All except the sleep thing. Sleep is easy. Especially if you use XBoxes for your extenders. If you want to get more exotic, you can use other extenders, but be prepared for the minor bugs and... if you want wol you'll need to modify your router (unless you use an xbox). I have zero xBoxes and all is well in my world... But I'm a techie geek. No problem hacking my router here. But... Even if you're PC-challenged, the xbox is simple enough for anyone.