What remote?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
spinnaker

HTPC Specs: Show details

What remote?

Post by spinnaker » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 pm

I just setup my first WMC PC. I have the Hauppauge tuner. Wow what reception! I get many times the channels on my WMC PC than my Vizio TV, Many more.

I need a remote. Which one should I get? I was told Logicsys has a WMC remote that has a small keyboard and mouse / track ball? I searched for it but could not find it? Any other recommendations on remotes?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:03 am

You will find that there are quite a few options... some better than others!
It will depend on what you need the remote to do..
Are you loking for a MC remote only?
Do you want to to be able to turn on and off the PC as well as the TV and or AVR?
(You will want to look for a remote that is RC6 if you do not get a logitech remote.)
From what I have read the Dell remotes aren't quite as good as the HP or Microsoft remotes if your looking on eBay.
Beware of some of the MediaGate remotes.. (mostly junk) IMO. (tried a few.. i wasn't too happy)

If you need a good all in one remote control the Logitech Harmony Remotes work great. They take a bit to learn to program, but once they are set up they work really well.
I have a Harmony One remote and I use it for my HTPC, TV and AVR. It beats having 3 or more remotes and having to fumble in the dark to find the one you need.

For a basic Harmony Remote that isn't super expensive the Harmony 300i http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/u ... vices/6812
is a good remote. It's not backlit, like the higher end units but it works for MC and a few other devices.
There is a listing for media center remotes here that are avialable.. some good some not so good. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Re ... MCE_Remote
The site is listed for XMBC but some of the MC remotes are listed there as that is what most people use for XBMC.
The best remote(s) I have found for MC are the Harmony Remotes (Harmony One/300i or others.)
And a little keyboard/mouse remote made by Lenovo model # N5902
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/5 ... 19AB6729AA

newfiend~

spinnaker

Post by spinnaker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks! What I have been looking for is a remote that also has a small keyboard and mouse type device. Does that exist Or do I need a separate keyboard and mouse?

I looked at the Harmony before and from what I see on line, it is not all too clear if a keyboard and mouse isin that unit.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Look at the Lenovo n5902 ,keyboard & mouse all in one unit. Works great.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

spinnaker

Post by spinnaker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:00 pm

So there is no such an animal as remote + keyboard and mouse?

If I go with a remote plus the Lenovo, will the remote use the Lenovo I/R sensor or do I need a separate sensor for the remote?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Not that I am aware of (all in one unit remote+keyboard+mouse)..
The Lenovo has a tiny USB 2.4 GHz wireless receiver and is not IR. The other remotes will need some sort of IR receiver. Some cases have built in IR's like the Antec Fusion remote cases. Barebones cases with out built in IR's will require some sort of external IR. If you need an external IR I would suggest an HP RC6 IR Receiver. They seem to work well and can usually be found on eBay pretty cheap.
Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:38 am

Lenovo for keyboard, I recommend Philips Prestigo SRT9320 for a remote, all of the Logitech functions plus a fully customisable touchscreen, in a similar price range.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:41 am

WarrenH wrote:Lenovo for keyboard, I recommend Philips Prestigo SRT9320 for a remote, all of the Logitech functions plus a fully customisable touchscreen, in a similar price range.
Is that a current model from Philips? Thought Philips were getting out of the universal remote control market? They dropped the Pronto range didn't they.
How does the programming on the Philips compare to the Harmony? The Harmony software can be frustrating at times.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Stuart,
I know Philips dropped the Pronto, they never updated the software to Win7. The Prestigo line still seems to be around, as well as the 9320 when I last looked. They're available off eBay and some online German stores.
I've previously had a Harmony, whilst they're decent, they're ugly, big and the software is terrible. The Philips has all the same functions in a better looking and smaller remote; colour touchscreen, on/off works with Windows, push through volume, fully learning programmable from existing remotes or through codes, and you can create your own screen layouts (similar to the Pronto's) with customised buttons - hence you can remove those keys that you don't use, or move them to another screen - there are multiple screens per controller (sort of like the multiple screens on the iPhone). You can also set TV channels for all UK channels for all controllers (TV, media centre, Sky), with colour channel logo's which is really cool. It comes with Win7 software although this is only used for uploading new channel logo's and backing up the remote functions - you don't program through Windows like the Harmony. It has a great IR range, it actually works quicker and further than all my original remotes. I've been using for 3 years now, and actually have a brand new spare tucked away for when this one packs up.

Been meaning to ask, how's your Tranquil PC running?
Warren

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm

*smiley Pronto thoughts*

I still have mine boxed up and mint :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Those were the pioneering days from the year 2000 ;)
sc000325.gif
sc000325.gif (4.99 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
sc000324.gif
sc000324.gif (3.83 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:25 am

WarrenH wrote:Hi Stuart,
I know Philips dropped the Pronto, they never updated the software to Win7. The Prestigo line still seems to be around, as well as the 9320 when I last looked. They're available off eBay and some online German stores.
I've previously had a Harmony, whilst they're decent, they're ugly, big and the software is terrible. The Philips has all the same functions in a better looking and smaller remote; colour touchscreen, on/off works with Windows, push through volume, fully learning programmable from existing remotes or through codes, and you can create your own screen layouts (similar to the Pronto's) with customised buttons - hence you can remove those keys that you don't use, or move them to another screen - there are multiple screens per controller (sort of like the multiple screens on the iPhone). You can also set TV channels for all UK channels for all controllers (TV, media centre, Sky), with colour channel logo's which is really cool. It comes with Win7 software although this is only used for uploading new channel logo's and backing up the remote functions - you don't program through Windows like the Harmony. It has a great IR range, it actually works quicker and further than all my original remotes. I've been using for 3 years now, and actually have a brand new spare tucked away for when this one packs up.

Been meaning to ask, how's your Tranquil PC running?
Warren
Warren

Sounds good the Philips Presitgo ! Might have to look at getting one, when you say "you don't program through Windows like the Harmony" is it all programmed on the remote itself?

Had some issues with the Tranquil PC, the supplied internal IR usb didn't work that well so swapped it for an Intel CIR one but having issues with that now see here
Also the internal power supply board failed, I had to post it back to Tranquil at great expensive to me for them to replace the unit. Other than that its been great lol.

As for my current remotes I have the Harmony 895 in the living room and a Harmony 555 in my bedroom. Could do with a cheap Harmony for the kids bedroom as well.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Stuart, yes all programming is done on the remote, no PC or internet connection required.
Pity to hear your problems with your machine, mine's going a year now without issue. I think I made some comment re your CIR response problem and I'll look on that post.
Go well

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm

I did find this IOGear Multimedia Keyboard. It appears the MCE functions are accessible using a function key.

Personally, I have this Microsoft Remote Keyboard, but I purchased mine long ago and it didn't cost anywhere near $100 at the time.

-Wolf sends