Running out of storage space (?)

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
mafaldatv

HTPC Specs: Show details

Running out of storage space (?)

Post by mafaldatv » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:19 pm

FYI

v.1.8.2.9

The log warning of impending disk space shortage is a wonderful addition. But maybe it has a bug?

Today's log shows:

[3/26/2024 3:05:40 AM] [ INFO] Recorder storage drive D:\ has 226.308 GB available. (686.036 GB of 912.344 GB used)
[3/26/2024 3:05:41 AM] [ERROR] WMC predicts running out of storage starting at 3/25/2024 10:57:03 PM and may need to cancel scheduled recordings

I have maybe 25gig scheduled to record today, but that isn't enough to get into trouble with, not to mention is says I'm going to run out starting yesterday.

It shouldn't be relevant but I do have another drive that WMC looks at to read from but not record to. It is mostly full.

Overall I have 65 hours + scheduled to record over the next few weeks which would be a problem, but down the road. I'm used to dealing with that. (A lot of them aren't thing I intend to record and they get dealt with.)

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:09 pm

I know that WMC can sometimes be "off" on how much space it thinks will be needed to record upcoming programs but I don't know if that is what is happening here...

Did you recently delete recordings to free up space on the record drive? Perhaps this warning message from WMC was from last night (and that is why it has that date/time) when there really was not enough space to record. I'm not sure how often WMC checks to see if it has enough space for upcoming recordings, but it may not be that often and EPG123 is just reporting that information from yesterday when it was true, but it's not true anymore...

As for that time of "10:57:03"... I always thought that WMC determined when it will run out of space for future recordings based on the first recording that will not record, which would mean the time reported should be the time that that recording is due to start recording. Unless you modified the registry to have a soft pre-padding of 2 minutes and 57 seconds (assuming a 11:00:00pm program start time) that doesn't seem to be the case here. But maybe you did do that, as I have set mine to have a 15 second soft pre-padding (through the registry since the WMC GUI only allows full 1-minute increments).

I'm not sure what triggers WMC to check if it will have enough space for upcoming recordings, perhaps only once per day, or only after a recording starts/completes. Maybe there is a way to get EPG123 to trigger this so that it's reporting is more up to date. I do think that the indicators that show up on the to-do list when WMC thinks it will not have enough space to record those shows gets updated soon after you free space by deleting shows through the WMC GUI, but I'm not sure how soon it gets updated if you move/delete the WTV files not using WMC to do so.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:16 am

I was assuming that the checks were being done by EPG123 and not WMC (so that it would be real time). I did move some files yesterday based on a previous warning in the log file. And yes... I have a 3 minute pad time on start (and end) :)

The amount of disk space in the log was correct as of the moment the log entry was generated (lots of space)... Confusing....

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:17 pm

For determining how much drive space is allocated and used, epg123 uses the registry and drive usage/space used. Everything else for programs that have been flagged for possible deletion or recordings to be cancelled, rescheduled, or tuner conflicts come from the WMC database.

What does the line above what you posted say? It lets us know how long the database took to reindex. In my case below, it took 5 days due to it being on a laptop that goes to sleep. I guess it is possible that the reindexing does not "restart" when new data is imported and continues on with the database contents of when it started.

Code: Select all

[3/7/2024 8:08:49 PM] [ INFO] WMC database indexing took 5.00:00:54.3240540. Exit: 0x00000000
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io