Dell trys to boot then just Dell logo

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dell trys to boot then just Dell logo

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:36 pm

Dell trys to boot then just Dell logo rinse repeat.
dell is optiplex7010
I see the windows start then goe’s back to Dell logo repeatedly.
I’ve cloned a win7 64 bit OS
The clone process was sucsessfull just can’t get PC to boot up.

Been attempting to apply the little I know all unsucessefully. Provided as much details as I can.
It’s probaley something real obviouse you experts can see right away.
This is what I have attempted in BIOS so far all unsucessfull for a boot up.* indicates selected.
1.SSD first device to boot* I actuelly removed the other devices diskette & USB
2.ACHI mode *is enabled in BIOS
3.sys. infor SATA0=Samsung SSD, it would make to much sense to designate a SATA port as a C:/ drive port or is there?
4.boot sequence SSD again only device
5.advance boot options-enable Legacy optionROMs*
6.date & time is correct
7.sys.config- integrated NIC
8.enabled w/ PXE*
9.service port COM1*
10.SATA operation ACHI* this was my initial check.
11.SATA drives 0* 1* 2*
12.SATA0 device is Samsung SSD
13.Secure boot enabled* because of legacy mode which is the only option to get Samsung as boot device.
14.another message not sure what this is . PXE+M0F existing intel boot agent.

Thanks for boot up advice I will be updating my notebook.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:53 am

The sequence of events is not clear. Did you start to have boot problems then tried a clone? Or did you clone a drive and then it is this drive which will not boot?

If it is the latter then this is not unexpected. For a clone like this to work the source and destination hardware (motherboard and cpu) need to be quite similar. The most likely problem is a different disk controller. Windows boots so far and then doesn’t have the correct chipset driver to continuing accessing the disk. This can be quite difficult to fix and often requires preparatory work on the source before cloning. A repair installation on top of the non booting system might help.

Windows 10 and 11 are much better at adapting to this situation. But Windows 7 is rather fussy.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:13 am

IT Troll wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:53 am The sequence of events is not clear. Did you start to have boot problems then tried a clone? Or did you clone a drive and then it is this drive which will not boot?

If it is the latter then this is not unexpected. For a clone like this to work the source and destination hardware (motherboard and cpu) need to be quite similar. The most likely problem is a different disk controller. Windows boots so far and then doesn’t have the correct chipset driver to continuing accessing the disk. This can be quite difficult to fix and often requires preparatory work on the source before cloning. A repair installation on top of the non booting system might help.

Windows 10 and 11 are much better at adapting to this situation. But Windows 7 is rather fussy.
the dell wasn't preforming well when watching my videos on bitchute/rumble an a few other videos sites I like even ytube was not preforming well seamed like the videos wheren't buffered up, now I do watch at accelerated speeds usable 1.75sp. an sometimes play 2 video sites simultaneously like listen to one an watch another.
anyway performance was degraded. so I thought lets increase OS from 32 to 64bit thats when I had booting up issues w/ the dell.

I think you are absolutely correct when you say when cloning/copying ect the MOBO an CPU need to be similar to the swapped machine.
I broke a LT internal connector while trying to swap a cooling fan, I purchased the exact same LT that had a damaged screen(minus a OS HDD) on ebay an swapped my screen cloned my drive an had a new to me LT for traveling.
Dell differnt story dell much newer tech:
the clone came from a 2009 machine w/ h57 intell MOBO an i3 CPU the recieving PCs properties where about 10 years newer technology not sure of MOBO but the Dell has a i5 quaud CPU.

anyway I ended up cloning another 32 bit OS an Dell is booting/operating fine, I feel the preformance will degrade in time an I'd like to have a 64 bit OS the i5 certainly can handle win7 OS. thanks IT Troll for advicing

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 am

Glad to hear you have it working again. If performance is the main reason, why not go for a completely clean install of a 64-bit OS? This is the best way to ensure you have no residual issues from the cloning and also no unwanted bloat.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1