Hauppauge 1657 WinTV-dualHD USB 2.0 TV Tuner has to be rebooted occasionally

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
LeonMc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge 1657 WinTV-dualHD USB 2.0 TV Tuner has to be rebooted occasionally

Post by LeonMc » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:27 pm

I just recently converted over from Spectrum Cable to OTA due to loss of cable card support. I am using a Hauppauge 1657 Dual USB tuner and generally it works great. My setup is Win7 using WMC. I am allowing WMC to put the PC into sleep mode when it isn't being used, but I am not sure if this is contributing to my problem, but I think it might be.

The problem is once or twice a week the PC looses connection with the Hauppauge and after that WMC continuously reports "no tuners available" and I miss many recordings. To correct it, I can either restart the PC or unplug and plug back in the Hauppauge USB connection. Of course, there is no obvious notice that it is happening unless I happen to be watching a recording when WMC tries to record another program.

Has anyone else experienced this and figured out a solution? I would prefer to not have the PC running all the time, so I like the sleep mode option, if that is the problem.
--Leon

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:08 am

I had a similar issue with a TV tuner many years ago - I used a tool called devcon to disable / enable the device before and after sleep to workaround the issue.

It might be worth a look to see if it can help with your issue, this thread might help:

viewtopic.php?p=69157#p69157
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:15 pm

Depending on how old your USB key is, it could be configured to use the USB isoc mode instead of the bulk mode that is known to be more reliable (recent versions ship with the bulk mode enabled).
Could be worth checking it: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support ... _bulk.html

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:53 pm

Kevin Chalet wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:15 pm Depending on how old your USB key is, it could be configured to use the USB isoc mode instead of the bulk mode that is known to be more reliable (recent versions ship with the bulk mode enabled).
Could be worth checking it: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support ... _bulk.html
I just bought it a month ago new on Amazon. I may check this out later, but I'm not having any quality issues. Thanks.
--Leon

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:57 pm

holidayboy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:08 am I had a similar issue with a TV tuner many years ago - I used a tool called devcon to disable / enable the device before and after sleep to workaround the issue.
It might be worth a look to see if it can help with your issue, this thread might help:
viewtopic.php?p=69157#p69157
Thanks for the idea and link. I have already created a cmd file that runs on entering sleep mode to mute the sound. This might be a good work around.
--Leon

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:25 pm

holidayboy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:08 am I had a similar issue with a TV tuner many years ago - I used a tool called devcon to disable / enable the device before and after sleep to workaround the issue.
Thanks again for this, I found devcon.exe three times on my HD, so I don't need to DL it. I am curious to know why you run the cmd file before and after sleep mode? It would seem like on waking up would be enough.
Thanks,
--Leon

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:05 pm

I had a Pinnacle 7010ix tuner at the time of the Vista TV Pack builds and it did not play well with my PC when it came to sleep or resume!

I found that running the script before and after s3 sleep resulted in a fairly reliable system (as long as the system was restarted every couple of days!).
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:06 am

Just an update. Also I appreciate that there are still active WMC users around on this forum!

About a week ago, I moved the USB tuner from the back of my PC to a front USB plug so it was more accessible to being reset. Since moving the USB tuner to the front USB port, it has not gone off line again. So I am thinking there must be something different about the front ports in the BIOS settings possibly that may keep them alive during sleep mode. I'll check it later and see what it is as I have to have a hardwired KB and mouse to check the bios settings.

Thanks again for all the WMC users still online.
--Leon