Alternate use of EPG123/Schedules Direct for viewing data not on WMC channels

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
LeonMc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Alternate use of EPG123/Schedules Direct for viewing data not on WMC channels

Post by LeonMc » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:56 pm

Hi Gary, et. al.

First, I want to start out by saying thanks so much to Gary and EPG123 for saving WMC and allowing it to continue on.

I recently had my cable card turned off, so I went back to over the air broadcasts and using EPG123 for that. This allowed me to start negotiating with Spectrum to reduce my costs. I was going to just use their internet and when they heard I was using an OTA antenna, they offered me a "non-local" package for about $15 a month on top of my internet. In addition, they gave me free (for 2 years) cloud DVR to record what I wanted. So far, so good, so I accepted it.

BUT, their "program guide" is non existent. It really is a major PIA to simply find any movies or TV programs to record. It takes 10 to 20 times longer than it did on WMC with EPG123 (I am so spoiled! LOL). I could go on with this rant for a long time, but I will not waste your time.

So, here is my question, is there any way to create or download a viewer that can take the Spectrum data out of EPG123 and Schedules Direct and have an alternate way to filter through the offerings from the cable channels I can still record from on my cloud DVD? I was thinking of a couple of paths, one would be if there existed a program to read, filter and search the data I now subscribe to OR alternately setting up a second WMC PC and using it to DL and view upcoming Spectrum movies and programs? I realize that it will not interact with Spectrum to set up the recordings, but I would at least be able to do that on my device or my primary WMC PC.

Assuming I can find a way to have this second way to view the data, does my subscription to EPG123/SD allow me to have a second device or program to have an alternate data stream for viewing?
--Leon

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:38 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for in terms of searching or "filtering" but one way to do it is to just use public websites like https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap. Using this option would not require you to maintain a Schedules Direct subscription. Here is a Reddit thread I found with a bunch of other options.

If you are looking for solutions that would work with your Schedules Direct subscription, then you can look here for a list of approved apps. I've checked out Typecast in the past, and it seems like it might be what you are looking for, although I haven't used it extensively.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If it is just a simple guide then one of the websites is probably fine, if you want more powerful filters or searches then an app like Typecast may be the way to go.

EDIT: With regard to the Schedules Direct subscription, I don't think there is any limitation on using it as long as you are using an approved app. Note that any app that uses Schedules Direct data MUST be offered free of charge. Note that you CAN send them donations, however.

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:29 pm

Space wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:38 pm I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for in terms of searching or "filtering" but one way to do it is to just use public websites like https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap. Using this option would not require you to maintain a Schedules Direct subscription. Here is a Reddit thread I found with a bunch of other options.

If you are looking for solutions that would work with your Schedules Direct subscription, then you can look here for a list of approved apps. I've checked out Typecast in the past, and it seems like it might be what you are looking for, although I haven't used it extensively.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If it is just a simple guide then one of the websites is probably fine, if you want more powerful filters or searches then an app like Typecast may be the way to go.

EDIT: With regard to the Schedules Direct subscription, I don't think there is any limitation on using it as long as you are using an approved app. Note that any app that uses Schedules Direct data MUST be offered free of charge. Note that you CAN send them donations, however.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check out your suggestions. What I am looking for is it to be as easy as my WMC to find programs on Spectrum. Another thought I had was to create a 2nd line up with just the Spectrum channels I get and renumber them out of my OTA channel range so it would be obvious that they are not real WMC channels. Then when I find something on one of those channels I could switch over to Spectrum (app or web) and tell it to record it for me.
--Leon

Space

Post by Space » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:56 am

If you just want a separate program grid for each set of channels, you can simply set up separate "Favorite lineups" in WMC for the OTA and non-OTA channels, no need for a second lineup.

Settings -> TV -> Guide -> Edit favorite lineups

Once you set up a "OTA" and "Non-OTA" lineup, you can then display each "Favorite lineup" as a separate program grid (click on the "view categories" link or just use the left arrow until it opens the "view categories" menu, then select your favorite to change the grid to just show the channels you assigned to that favorite).

LeonMc

Post by LeonMc » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:04 pm

Space wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:56 am no need for a second lineup.
The "second lineup" I was referring to was on Schedules direct so I had two sources (OTA and Cable) to pull in via EPG123.

Thanks for the idea of creating multiple favorite line ups in WMC. That's a good idea.
--Leon