Intel 770 graphics with 8.9.1 WMC full screen issue

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Kevin Chalet

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Kevin Chalet » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:18 pm

It's super weird: it looks a lot like the "TV skin" WMC uses when you complete the screen configuration wizard and select "TV set" (in this case, WMC assumes the TV set will enforce an overscan and applies a large margin to take it into account). You haven't done that, right?

I reread OP's post and he mentioned he didn't have any issue in windowed mode, so there are definitely 2 distinct issues here.

Peter167

Post by Peter167 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:21 pm

Kevin
Once again thanks for trying. I'll get some new hardware sometime in the future and use this box to replace my aging PC. I'm going to have a look at Media Portal, which is very sad as I've had a Shuttle PC running WMC for nearly 20 years. The one I use now in an aging Athlon CPU, but during the last year the TV playback has been lagging and the graphics can't be upgraded. I'd like to try your mod on future versions of WMC, but I assume the dll will need patching again? Although I'm retired I've coded in C,C++, C# and.net I've never needed to patch assemblies. Can you point me in the right direction to do future mods myself? Is the WMC code open source?

Peter167

Post by Peter167 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:10 pm

Kevin

I read a couple of older posts regarding possible fixes. I tried disabling HW optimization on the Iris graphs but couldn't find a setting. I also tried running it from a different directory, but that didn't work either. Renaming the ehshell.exe wouldn't play videos. Before progressing further with Media Portal I disabled animations in the WMC settings, which WORKED!!
The UI feels a little slower after I've played a TV prog, but is perfectly usable. Fingers crossed that it continues to work.

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:40 am

Peter167 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:21 pm I'd like to try your mod on future versions of WMC, but I assume the dll will need patching again?
Well, not necessarily. For instance, the ehshell.dll included in the 8.8.5 package wasn't touched since 2014 IIRC. Assemblies are only patched when it's the only option to get back to a working WMC installation.
Peter167 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:21 pm Although I'm retired I've coded in C,C++, C# and.net I've never needed to patch assemblies. Can you point me in the right direction to do future mods myself? Is the WMC code open source?
I personally use https://github.com/dnSpyEx/dnSpy to patch .NET assemblies. I don't think there's a tutorial to help you get started, but maybe I'll take some time to write a blog post about it if there's some interest from the community :mrgreen:
Peter167 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:21 pm Is the WMC code open source?
Sadly no. That would have been a fantastic way to give WMC a new life, but MSFT has ignored all the demands for that.
Peter167 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:10 pm Before progressing further with Media Portal I disabled animations in the WMC settings, which WORKED!!
The UI feels a little slower after I've played a TV prog, but is perfectly usable. Fingers crossed that it continues to work.
Very interesting find! That would be nice if other users using the same CPU/iGPU could give it a try and see if they also see an improvement!

Peter167

Post by Peter167 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:12 pm

Kevin

Grabbed DnSpy and will take a look sometime.

Further to my issue, all was going well until I switched my recordings to HD (my old Athlon Shuttle didn't get close). On playback all appeared well until I used the skip forward to remove the ads. After a while the skip stopped working and I would have to stop the playback and resume or just press the Greenbutton. I've returned to SD so no biggy, but wonder why.

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:07 am

Peter167 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:12 pm Grabbed DnSpy and will take a look sometime.
FYI I started a new project called "WMC mini-mods" that aims at adding a few QoL improvements like the DisableFullscreenOptimizations option mentioned in this thread (that one sadly didn't work for you, but surprisingly, it worked for another user owning one of the new AMD iGPUs... that also seem to be affected: viewtopic.php?t=14531).

More information here: viewtopic.php?t=14526