New Guy with First HTPC Build

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
QingGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Guy with First HTPC Build

Post by QingGuy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 am

Recently built a HTPC and wish I would have found this site before I started selecting parts. Based on what I've read here so far I feel OK about my build, but I think I have some room for upgrades in the future. I actually learned about this website when describing to a co-worker the "green button" on my remote and he said, "there's actually a website called The Green Button." Anyway, so far I'm satisfied with my build and would like to add a TV tuner to it to record from Comcast but I'm clueless. I noticed there's a section on this topic that I'm looking forward to diving into.

So here's my build, open to all constructive criticism:
CPU: AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-A75M-UD2H
Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB)
HD: Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B ATX (I really dig the case!)
Remote: Rosewill RHRC-11001

Built for a pre-tax total of $423.

Looking forward to a new cool hobby!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 am

Nice system. I love the cases made by nMediaPC. I have a 1080P case and a 5000B case. Is there any reason you selected a quad-core processor?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

QingGuy

Post by QingGuy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:02 am

Scallica wrote:Nice system. I love the cases made by nMediaPC. I have a 1080P case and a 5000B case. Is there any reason you selected a quad-core processor?
Honest answer, didn't know any different and several of the reviewers said they used them in HTPC with good results. Will I have issues with it? It's still within it's return period if there's a better option.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 am

The CPU will use a lot of electricity, but should work fine. Ceton is the Cadillac of tuners with cable. You can record 4 cable channels at once. The only suggestion for your setup is to add another small drive for the OS, preferably an SSD. It will work without it, but its usually best to have separate drives for the OS and recorded TV.

tomtoth

Post by tomtoth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:35 pm

I agree with running an addition SSD drive for boot only. Your Proc is overkill, but will work well.. especially when you discover xbox extenders.. there was a rule of thumb of 1 core & 1gb ram for each extender.. but I dunno if that holds true.. If you go the extender route.. most of us will suggest an intel pro 10/100/1000 NIC.. Other then that, I run 8GB ram.. Enjoy.. I just ordered my second Ceton after 6 months of running just 1.. its just my wife and I.. but somehow we manage to use 5/6 tuners at once!

Tom

QingGuy

Post by QingGuy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Curious, other than boot time what is the benefit of running a SSD in a HTPC? I have a 80GB HD that I can install and move the OS too. I'm not opposed to picking-up a SSD but if I'm only gaining on boot then I'll apply the funds to a tuner card or more storage.

Extender huh? I assume an extender allows other televisions in the house to access content recorded on the HTPC? I have a WD Live box, would that work as an extender? EDIT: A question re: extenders, does the HTPC and extenders need to be "wired" or would wireless work? I'm assuming wired as the majority of the content is HD, however, with my WD Live box I had luck streaming 780p across my wireless network from a wired machine. Isn't cable content 780p?

tomtoth

Post by tomtoth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 pm

QingGuy wrote:Curious, other than boot time what is the benefit of running a SSD in a HTPC? I have a 80GB HD that I can install and move the OS too. I'm not opposed to picking-up a SSD but if I'm only gaining on boot then I'll apply the funds to a tuner card or more storage.
I find that this greatly increases my extender response time...
QingGuy wrote:Extender huh? I assume an extender allows other televisions in the house to access content recorded on the HTPC?
Not only that you can share LIVE TV, recorded tv and have a shared guide
QingGuy wrote: I have a WD Live box, would that work as an extender? EDIT: A question re: extenders, does the HTPC and extenders need to be "wired" or would wireless work? I'm assuming wired as the majority of the content is HD, however, with my WD Live box I had luck streaming 780p across my wireless network from a wired machine. Isn't cable content 780p?
WD live box wouldn't work as media center extender, its either one of the linksys/hp extenders, or an XBOX 360 extender... Wired.. always wired.. wireless MAY work, but wired will save headaches.

howy

Post by howy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi qingguy
Good build. We have a similar one on http://www.besthtpc.net.
Yes you could get a ssd. but that would only increase boot time. A good 2tb storage disk is great to store and play movies from.
The cpu can do more then only play movies. I use my htpc as a streaming /download server. Its on 24/7.
Have fun picking the media player software. XBMC is great. But there are a lot more.Just test some

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:41 pm

howy wrote: Yes you could get a ssd. but that would only increase boot time.
I think most people that have tried them would disagree. I won't get into it here because there are lots of threads about SSD's already.

howy

Post by howy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 am

Then waste of money? for the same amount get a 3.5inch HD then.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 pm

howy wrote:Then waste of money? for the same amount get a 3.5inch HD then.
Actually, anything that is cached will also see an improvement, so guide data, recorded tv icons, music icons, pictures etc, menu navigation is a lot smoother....

Its one of the one upgrades to my pc, that had the most effect, when we bought ours about a year or so ago!

Tony

QingGuy

Post by QingGuy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Just added a Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card PCIe to my build. Do I need to increase my memory up to 8GB or will I be good with the 4GB I have installed? Build total at $623 now.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Changing the tuner doesn't have any impact on the RAM (well it does have a very small impact, but nothing to worry with)...unless you are using a RAM drive for your live TV buffer, and in that case the amount of space you need depends on how many tuners you have.

QingGuy

Post by QingGuy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:43 pm

richard1980 wrote:Changing the tuner doesn't have any impact on the RAM (well it does have a very small impact, but nothing to worry with)...unless you are using a RAM drive for your live TV buffer, and in that case the amount of space you need depends on how many tuners you have.
Actually I'm not changing, I'm adding the tuner. Same apply? I will be moving the OS to an 80 GB drive as well.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:53 am

Modifying tuner configuration in any way does not have a significant impact on RAM.

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:29 am

Something real quick about your A6-3650 if you're looking to save on power and heat.

The A6-3650 is essentially a binned A8-3850 but because of the lower clock and disabled radeon cores does not require the amount of power that the A8 does (despite what its specs say). If you want to try, you can reduce the core voltage on your processor. I'm currently running mine at 1.075V as opposed to the default of 1.4125. I'm thinking about trying lower. I have also underclocked my processor, but I have read reviews where the reviewers were able to run the processor at full speed on that same 1.075V core.

I did a stress test on my system at those voltages running Prime95 and furmark and the system never went over 82 watts despite the package of the processor being rated at 100 watts alone. Of course my system doesnt have my ceton in it, that actually resides in my WHS2011 box, so be aware of that if you do this, but it should still save you quite a bit of power.

Just a suggestion if you want to mess around with it if you have concern about power usage and heat.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 am

There are lots of options here. The amount of RAM depends on how many extenders you plan to run simultaneously. Microsoft recommends one CPU core per extender, plus 1 GB of RAM per extender. Basically, you need a Minimum of 2GB of RAM plus 1 for each extender. Four extenders need 6GB of RAM. I have 8GB in my system, and when all four extenders are running, plus the TV that is connected directly to the HTPC... I use a little more than 6GB of RAM.

Also, remember that 32-bit versions of Windows can only use a little less than 4GB of RAM... so if you need to use more than that, you need a 64-bit version of Windows.

QingGuy

Post by QingGuy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:16 pm

So I'm updating my system, below is the updated build. So far, for a first time build I'm really digging it. Next step is to add some extenders, however I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines and wait to see what price point the Ceton extender comes out at (anyone have any inside info?) Again, open to any and all input on improving my build:

CPU: AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-A75M-UD2H
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x2GB) - UPDATED FROM 4GB TO 8GB
HD: Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s
Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive - UPDATED
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B ATX (I really dig the case!)
Ceton InfiniTV4 - UPDATED
Remote: Rosewill RHRC-11001

Updated pre-tax build total $737.40

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have a couple of observations now that I've taken more time to look at your list:

1) To keep your system quiet, try to stay around a 73 watt CPU or less.
2) I strongly recommend Intel CPU's and chipsets. Plus, if you live in the USA and you're looking for integrated graphics, stick with the Intel i3 or i5 Clarksdale CPU's. They're the only integrated graphics CPU's that have been proven to work perfectly with the "29/59 bug". Even the Sandy Bridge CPU's have a problem with 29/59 content.

Your other option would be to use a graphics card that has an nVidia GT-430 GPU, if you choose to stick with AMD. However, I still stick by my recommendation of Intel vs. AMD.

Oh... and the Kingston ValueRAM works fine... no need to spend extra money on the HyperX stuff or any of that fancy RAM from other manufacturers.