What is the latest version that works on Win7 ?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Boo2

HTPC Specs: Show details

What is the latest version that works on Win7 ?

Post by Boo2 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:29 am

Hi,

After a long absence I have returned to this forum and I see that there is a new EPG (EPG123) and modded versions of WMC to go with later versions of Windows. I am still on Win7 on my HTPC but would be very keen on a working EPG and I understand EPG123 will work in the UK for Freeview so want to use that. I see that the modded versions of WMC are up to 8.9.1 but the version of WMC I have on my W7 PC is 6.1.7601.xxxxx and I wondered whether

1. There is a later version of VMC for Win7 that is worth me bothering with ?

2. Will EPG123 work with my current version of WMC ?

Edit: Apologies, I meant to post this in the Windows 7 Media Center forum, could an admin move it for me please?

Many thanks,

Boo2

Space

Post by Space » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:39 pm

1. I don't think the "newer" versions of WMC are meant for Win7, they are more for later version of Windows that do not already have WMC available and you don't otherwise have the ability to install it (such as Win10 & Win11).

2. EPG123 works with the version of WMC that comes with Win7.

Note that I am in the US and use the SchedulesDirect ($35 USD/year) guide data source, and don't know much about Freeview, or how it works with EPG123.

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:12 pm

Space wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:39 pm Note that I am in the US and use the SchedulesDirect ($35 USD/year) guide data source, and don't know much about Freeview, or how it works with EPG123.
I'm not a UK citizen, but both Great Britain and Ireland are listed as supported regions on SD's website (https://www.schedulesdirect.org/regions), so it should work fine :mrgreen:

That said, it's worth noting there's a serious quality gap between regions: while the US database is said to be excellent, the SD-JSON France data was sadly far from being "good" when I evaluated the service a few years ago: completely mixed up series, no program logo, incomplete casting details, etc. I really had no problem paying for the service (specially considering it's maintained by a non-profit organization!), but the data offered at the time didn't meet the quality bar.

Just in case, you may want to test the service for a few days before subscribing "for real" ;)