'Display Driver Error' when turning TV on

Joram

HTPC Specs: Show details

'Display Driver Error' when turning TV on

Post by Joram » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:36 am

We've had a more-or-less stable WMC7 system for over twelve years now, but in the last week or so, a somewhat annoying issue has emerged.

Some background: The PC is on 24/7, but the TV set is turned off (with the remote) when nobody is watching it. When the TV is off, we'll leave WMC open but either paused on a recorded program or just showing the list of recorded TV (that is, no live TV is playing when the TV is off). Lately, though, when we turn the TV back on and then go to live TV, we've been getting a "Display Driver Error" every time, and the solution we've found is to Restore Down the WMC full screen, then Maximize it again. The channel that's tuned comes back almost as soon as the smaller window finishes resizing, and the signal isn't lost when it's maximized again.

No hardware or software changes have been made to the system recently, so it's puzzling why this would start happening all of a sudden.

Any ideas what could be causing this, and how to fix it? It's not a huge deal, just an annoying extra step before starting to watch TV that we didn't have to take a week ago.

Thanks in advance!

Space

Post by Space » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:40 am

Sounds like it may be a bad HDMI/HDCP connection. I would suggest making sure the cable is securely connected at both ends just to make sure that is not the issue. If you still have the issue, try replacing the cable with a known good HDMI cable. You can also try using another HDMI port on the TV just to rule out the port going bad (or even another TV).

Joram

Post by Joram » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:09 pm

Thanks very much! :thumbup:

After posting the question, the antivirus program (Norton 360) started demanding a reboot and I let it do its thing. Everything seems to be back to normal (for now). But knowing what you said, I will make sure to have a backup HDMI cable in case the other ideas don't work.

Much appreciated!
P.S. I thought I'd subscribed to this thread so that I would have gotten a notice about your reply, but it looks like I never did subscribe and so I didn't see the reply until now. :oops: