Atsc 3.0 With windows media center

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
atlastechtips

HTPC Specs: Show details

Atsc 3.0 With windows media center

Post by atlastechtips » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:43 pm

So I am thinking about getting the HDhomerun with atsc 3.0 as I live in a bad signal area, and I was wondering if the hevc coded would work with Windows Media Center. If i installed a codec pack, could it work. I'm using wmc for win 7 I could upgrade to win 10 or 11. I heard people also had problems with h.264 on Comcast and Cox. Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Kevin Chalet

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Kevin Chalet » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:33 pm

It's not something I've been able to test myself (Europe is all 'bout DVB-T/DVB-T2), but all reports confirm that ATSC 3.0 is not supported (which is not surprising at all, since it appeared well after the TV part of DirectShow and WMC itself stopped being developed/maintained). It's also worth mentioning that many (most?) ATSC 3.0 channels are encrypted, which is a major blocker too :sick:

Same thing for HEVC: even if you install a DirectShow HEVC codec (e.g LAVFilters) and configure it as the preferred MPEG video codec in the registry, it will never work as-is: something in the WMC/DirectShow TV processing pipeline prevents this from working properly. I've personally spent quite a lot of time trying to track that and my best guess is that it's likely caused by the MPEG2 Video Analyzer DirectShow filter (that has only been designed to process H264/MPEG2 streams) or by the way the MPEG2 multiplexer or Stream Buffer Sink filters are configured in the DirectShow graph.

The HEVC part isn't a deal breaker: you can still transcode the streams on-the-fly and using Tvheadend and an HDHomeRun emulator so that WMC receives a MPEG2 or H264 stream (I wrote a blog post about that here: https://kevinchalet.com/2023/07/05/conn ... o-dvblink/).
The blocking part here is that ATSC 3.0 is not yet supported by Tvheadend. You may be able to get the MPEG-TS streams directly from the HDHR device and configure it as an IPTV source in Tvheadend, tho' (nobody has tested that, so... :lol:).

Note: you'll likely see posts claiming that "HEVC works in WMC", it's definitely not true: what works is the ability to watch HEVC videos (e.g in .mkv containers), but not broadcast TV (it's a whole different pipeline). If you try to watch or record an HEVC channel, all you'll get is sound (assuming it's not Dolby AC-4 :lol:)