Extender or Dedicated WMC

Talk about setting up your home network.
NOYB

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extender or Dedicated WMC

Post by NOYB » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:09 am

Getting a hand me down Denon A/V receiver and plan to set it up in another room.

What are my WMC, extender options, etc.? Needs to support FLAC files. The main HTPC is Windows 8.1 WMC on a NUC with 3rd party FLAC codec, property handler, and WMP Tag Plus. Works well.

An extender would be nice but not sure if it would play the FLAC files or even be made to. Or even where, or if can get an MCX. Can a mini pc be an extender?

Setting up a dedicated WMC on a mini pc Win 8.1/10/11 is not out of the question.

Looking forward to your insights.

Thanks

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:29 pm

I'm not sure if they play FLAC but the xbox 360 is by far the best extender, and I think the only one that works with Win 8.

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:30 pm

Yeah I'm kind of leery about being able to install FLAC codecs on an extender. Or does the media center do the decoding and send it to the extender in some another format?

Unless someone with FLAC playing through an extender chimes in I probably won't go that route.

Network stream or dedicated WMC is probably going to be the setup. Unless was to find a Windows 8.1 compatible extender for real cheap to try.

Tried duel monitor setup to two A/V receivers. But could only assign audio to one at a time. Otherwise that may have been workable.