W7->W10 Upgrade: TV Setup Error- Tuner Drivers?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Wheeker

HTPC Specs: Show details

W7->W10 Upgrade: TV Setup Error- Tuner Drivers?

Post by Wheeker » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:58 pm

So I have always held-back on upgrading from W7 to W10 because I still use WMC. However once I realised @garyan2 had created a W10 WMC & that MS were still offering a free W7->W10 upgrade, I thought I would take the plunge. All seemed to go well, until the TV Setup & whereas usually I would get full 5 green bars for satellite signal strength, I only got orange/green 3-4. Then once I proceed I get a TV Setup Error message telling me to run TV Setup again or restart WMC. I can't remember the precise wording but something to the effect of a "serious fault". I tried re-running TV Setup several times, but kept getting error message. In the end I gave-up & rolled-back to W7.

Only then did it occur to me that my TBS 6981 (2x DVB-S2) does not have W10 drivers, not to mention my Blackgold BGT3620 (2x DVB-T)- they're just not available! So is it safe to assume this is what caused the Setup failure? Anybody else able to use either of these cards with W10? Should I just stick to W7 or buy new TV Tuner cards with W10 drivers available? What TV Tuner cards are people using successfully in W10?

Wheeker

Post by Wheeker » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:54 pm

Alternatively- would EPG123 (originally installed in W7 but then c/fwd in upgrade) interfere with TV Setup in W10?

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:34 am

I'm sorry, I don't have anything constructive to add other than to advise that an in-place upgrade is a terrible idea.
You should really consider backing up your critical data.
Then, format and do a fresh install of Windows 10.

Otherwise, this won't be the only issue you run into.
In place upgrades are just going to present all sorts of issues over the long run.

If your boot drive is large enough, you might try just doing a dual-boot of Win7 and Win10.
That way, you get to keep your Win7 until you're positive you like Win10.

You can easily resize your C Drive to a smaller size if you have enough space available. Then, use the remaining space for Win10 if it's large enough.

Wheeker

Post by Wheeker » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:09 pm

Thanks CZ Eddie for replying- I take your point. I'll have to check whether I can still use the W7-W10 upgrade tool to carry-out a (free) clean install. Dual-boot may be a good option. Thanks again.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:32 pm

Once you have done a successful upgrade to Windows 10 and can see that it had been activated with a digital license, your PC should be recognised and activated again when installed from scratch, even using a USB stick to install on a new disk drive.

You just have to makes sure that you are installing the same version (home, pro or whatever).

MikeSin

Post by MikeSin » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:05 am

Hi, I am finishing off a change from W7 to W10 dor my dedicated MCE server. I was forced this route as my W7 lost it's sleep function and I could not recover it - in these energy conscious days sleep when not playong or recording plus the fact that I am away from home for several weeks at a time is imprtant.
However I digress. I did a separate W10 build on a second ssd.
My W10 MCE with it's TBS DVB-T tuner works well, the live tv picture/sound is better.
The battle I am now fighting is to get it to operate without a password, to stay asleep and only wake up if a scheduled recording is due.
W10 insists on continously checking for updates of all types and once the server is awake it doesn't go back to sleep - I can sleep it and wake it from media centre remote (w7 would not do this without failing to recover from sleep) but goiing to bye-byes at bedtime and waking in the morning and not at multiple times throughtout the night hours is my current issue.
I have recently disabled GUI boot in msconfig and today removed pasword from accoint administrator in user accounts - tomorrow morning is another fingers crossed day.
My need is for a dumb servile WMC server that just does as it is told as W7 did.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:30 am

@MikeSin

In advanced power settings, sleep options, have you tried setting 'Allow Wake Timers' to 'Important Wake Timers Only'?

If you have Remote Desktop enabled, have you checked that the option to keep the computer awake is unchecked?

MikeSin

Post by MikeSin » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:06 pm

No remote desktop but I'll check wake timers tomorrow - today it behaved as required but tonight might be another story
Thanks

MikeSin

Post by MikeSin » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:03 pm

W10/MC behaved - I had disabled BITS which stopped the wake-ups - also removed Admin password so on wake-up it boots to desktop/MC - Changed wake timers settings.
Will run some more sleep/wake/ record/ sleep actions overnight. If all good last thing I would like is a faster boot to MC but that's a nice to have from wife .

Wheeker

Post by Wheeker » Mon May 29, 2023 4:30 pm

CZ Eddie wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:34 am I'm sorry, I don't have anything constructive to add other than to advise that an in-place upgrade is a terrible idea.
You should really consider backing up your critical data.
Then, format and do a fresh install of Windows 10.

Otherwise, this won't be the only issue you run into.
In place upgrades are just going to present all sorts of issues over the long run.

If your boot drive is large enough, you might try just doing a dual-boot of Win7 and Win10.
That way, you get to keep your Win7 until you're positive you like Win10.

You can easily resize your C Drive to a smaller size if you have enough space available. Then, use the remaining space for Win10 if it's large enough.
Well CZ Eddie was right! I finally got around to trying again, this time when I selected the W10 upgrade I opted for NOT keeping my apps & settings (why don't they just call it a clean install?). Lo & behold all went well & on scanning with the DVB-S2 tuner I got 4 green bars. Even better I managed to install EPG123, RecordedTV HD & Media Center Studio, all without issue :D