Need new WDC HDD. Red? Purple? Black?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
MarkGSD

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need new WDC HDD. Red? Purple? Black?

Post by MarkGSD » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:11 pm

The WDC 4TB WD4NPURX I used for WMC since 2016 has a warning about pending sectors so I'll need to replace it. I keep running out of space so I'm looking to replace it with a WDC 6TB drive. My question is, which type of WDC drive works best with Windows 7 WMC with 7 tuners (HDHomeRun PRIME plus 2 HDHR Dual tuners for DTv) that might be recording 3-6 programs at a time. My system usually runs between 10-16 hours per day. Sometimes I'm recording programs from 6am to 10am, then 5pm to 11pm or midnight. I prefer to stick with Western Digital and I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks,
Mark

MarkGSD

Post by MarkGSD » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:02 pm

Someone on another forum suggested I stick with purple so I got a WDC WD63PURZ 6 TB drive. What's interesting to me is that the old drive had the ACS "Streaming" feature and the new one does not. But it does have the ACS "Trim" according to CrystalMark Info.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:56 pm

I believe purple drives are for real time recording of video (the most mentioned is surveillance systems), so for a drive dedicated to recording video it might be a good option, however if you ever want to use it for other purposes, it is probably not the best option (in fact there are reports that they die early if used for anything else).

I've also read that it is optimized for writing, but not for reading, which probably make it good for surveillance systems but perhaps NOT WMC.
But I really haven't done much research, so you might want to do that yourself.