Video Error

bameyer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video Error

Post by bameyer » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:02 pm

I have been running Windows 7 Media Center for years. MY 9 year old 1080p TV died so I bought a new 4K Smart TV. It seemed to have solved the problem. I watched Live TV for about an hour and then watched an hour long Recorded TV show. When I went to watch another hour long Recorded TV show I got the Video Error message. Usually I exit Media Center and relaunch it and it works fine. Not this time. I tried other Recorded TV and 6-10 Live TV channels. I get a few seconds of picture with no audio and then the Video Error. Shows are still recording but I don't know if they are god or just show an hour of the Video Error screen. The new TV works fine with Windows. I have tested it with Youtube and everything is fine. It seems to be a Media Center issue. I went through <Settings><TV><Configure Your TV Or Monitor>. Resetting those settings didn't help. Any ideas on something I didn't try?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:40 pm

Recordings should be good as they use a tuner and don't go through the TV at all until you play them. It sounds like a possible video driver or HDMI cable problem. Are you running Windows/WMC at 4K or still doing 1080p and letting the TV upscale? (more likely to work properly than doing windows at 4K).

bameyer

Post by bameyer » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:59 pm

The video card is a GeForce 210 running at a (Current) maximum of 1080p. Windows didn't find a new driver but since it is not supported anymore that makes sense. NVIDIA's says the latest driver is 342.01 dated 2016.12.14. I have a DisplayPort to HDMI cable connecting the old TV and now the new TV. It worked with the new TV for a couple of hours so hardware problem doesn't make much sense. I do have a DVI to HDMI cable that I can try. I don't think I have another DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

bameyer

Post by bameyer » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:05 am

I did have the latest driver installed and it was saved on my machine. I reinstalled the driver on top of the existing driver. That solved the problem. You can't make this stuff up!