The Maxifier strips the X close button from WMC?

CZ Eddie

HTPC Specs: Show details

The Maxifier strips the X close button from WMC?

Post by CZ Eddie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:16 am

Here's a screenshot below of WMC when The Maxifier isn't running.
When The Maxifier *is running*, that "X" and the window & minimize button... all three of them go away.
Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
The behavior has persisted over a couple of different format/reinstalls and I'm just now remembering to ask about it.

I'm running themaxifier1.5b2 but I think I had the same issue under 1.40.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:43 am

I've never used this program, but if I had to guess, it works by not putting WMC in to full screen mode, but instead uses windowed mode and just removes the frame/title bar around the window.

Due to this, I'm guessing WMC will not display those options due to it not displaying those things while in windowed mode, because it assumes those options already exist on it's frame/title bar.

I'm not sure if there is a way to tell WMC to display those things even if it is in windowed mode... Perhaps WMC has an option in it's registry settings that may allow this?

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:54 am

Thanks. Yes, it uses Windows mode maxed out to the edges so that it appears full-screen.
The area with the X is not off the screen though. It's still in a normal location.

I never noticed before but you're absolutely right!
WMC itself when in windowed mode does have the X, but it has it in the bar at the top rather than inside the picture like it does in fullscreen.

Well, okay shoot. hahah

Space

Post by Space » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:42 pm

Yeah, there are many registry settings that WMC uses that have not been documented (at least I haven't seen a document). It may be possible that one of these controls the display of this when in windowed mode (or there may be no such option).

I took a quick look at some of the registry keys and didn't see anything named in a obvious way that it was related to this. One way would be to just change some keys that look like they MIGHT affect it and see if it works, another way is to de-compile the code and see if you can see anything related to this at WMC startup. I know Gary has done some of this code peeking, but not sure if this is something that he came across in his investigations....

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:47 pm

Pretty sure this is going to be in an MCML file embedded in ehres.dll. There won't be any registry setting.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:53 pm

Space wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:42 pm I took a quick look at some of the registry keys and didn't see anything named in a obvious way that it was related to this.
That was a good idea, thank you. :thumbup:
I just skimmed it as well but didn't find anything obviously related.

Though, I only checked this path and its sub settings:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\

There may be other paths that I'll have to research.

In the end, it's not a big deal. I can easily close by alt-tab to the background and then right-clicking the icon on the taskbar to select the close option.
I was just wondering if it was a me-issue or an everyone-issue that might have a quick fix.

trs71

Post by trs71 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:00 pm

For the heck of it, did you try changing the settings for the display?
The resolution.

I know I had a problem with the cursor and the image not synced before...