Xbox 360 going out

CrazyKZ

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 going out

Post by CrazyKZ » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:56 pm

I have two Xbox 360's that are WAY old, but work to take the broadcast through HD Homerun and go through that laptop that has Windows 7 and WMC on it. Xbox 360 then broadcasts to my tv. The issue is that when I turn on my system I have to turn the Xbox off then on again, then it works. Has anyone had this issue before? Can any newer Xbox's read from WMC as well? What about a PS4 that I have in my system connected to the TV? Can WMC connect in the same way as the Xbox 360?

Thank you!

javajohnnv

Post by javajohnnv » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:58 pm

I’m amazed that your original Xbox 360 has lasted this long! The Xbox One and newer Xbox’s do not work as a WMC extender, and definitely not the PS4. Your best bet is to buy a used Xbox 360 S or Xbox 360 E off eBay. Should be able to get one for less then $50.

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:30 pm

Thank you for your response. Yes, I have two very old Xbox 360's. What's the difference between the 360 S vs. E? Guess I'll buy another used one. This one was working great until I realized that the only way to get it to work was turning it on then off, then on.

So, what is the recommended method to connect HD Homerun to my network/TVs? At some point 360's will be completely obsolete.
I have a Roku and see that there is an app for HD Home Run but it doesn't work very well.
I'm running my system through my laptop that has a bajillion gigs of free space to record tv....just need to get it to communicate with my TVs in the cheapest and best way.

Recommendations?

javajohnnv

Post by javajohnnv » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:40 pm

The original Xbox 360 was released in 2005, the model S in 2010, and the E came out in 2013. Each new model was smaller, faster, cheaper and used less power than the previous model. The Xbox 360 Wikipedia page goes into much greater detail.
I don’t understand what you mean about the recommended method to connect a HD Homerun to a network. A wired network connection is the only way it works. Check out silicondust.com for a list of supported hardware.