No LAN when Hauppauge 2250 IR remote wake

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
DK1

HTPC Specs: Show details

No LAN when Hauppauge 2250 IR remote wake

Post by DK1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:05 am

Anyone here lose network on a system using an integrated nVida network controller if you use your IR remote to wake the PC from sleep? The reason I ask is that I will always lose network if I wake my HTPC (Acer Aspire X3400 with integrated nVida NIC) by using the IR remote with my Hauppauge 2250 card. If I use the roller ball on my Lenovo N5901 mini keyboard to wake from sleep, I do not lose LAN. I wish I had an answer to this one, other than installing a PCIe NIC from a different manufacturer. This has been a long standing annoyance with this system, especially since it's my primary HTPC. This isn't just loss of TCP/IP, the network driver crashes, it's in the system log. However, if I use the IR remote to resume from Hibernate (which works beautifully), it's not a problem, the network is fine. I'm using S3 sleep mode on my Acer.

I have tried every setting available and every driver available. I contacted Hauppauge, but they finally said it's nVdia, not us. I can't completely disagree. I have a Dell P4 as a second HTPC which has and integrated ATI NIC and it does not have this issue. The older Dell doesn't support S3 sleep, but I've tried changing the sleep mode on the Acer, and it didn't resolve the issue. I also tried every driver setting the NIC has and nothing has resolved the issue. The only fix for this issue I've found (aside from spending more money on a new NIC) is to reboot and try next time to remember not to wake it from sleep with the IR remote.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 am

I have an integrated NVIDIA NIC and do not lose network connectivity when I use my remote to wake the PC. Are you using a certified IR receiver?

DK1

Post by DK1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 am

It's the one that came in the HVR-2250 KIT. I have the same one on the Dell P4. I've tried swapping them, but the result is the same. The Dell is normally set to hibernate always because it doesn't support S3, but I've tested putting it manually into sleep mode and it has no problem when I press the power button on the IR remote. The Acer network driver crashes no matter what sleep mode its in, but wake from hibernation is not an issue. If I forget and press the IR remote power when its sleeping before automatic Hibernation, there's nothing I can do except reboot if I want the NIC to function again.