Disable WMC screen saver

cycletourist

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disable WMC screen saver

Post by cycletourist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 am

Having searched this topic, all I can find are posts by people who need help enabling the screensaver. I would like to disable it. If I pause my TV and leave the room for 20 minutes or more, I would like to come back to see the picture still on the screen. Same if I leave the program guide up and leave the room, I want to it to still be there when I get back.

I have disabled the screen saver in Windows 7. I have UNchecked the slideshow screen saver in Settings -> Pictures, to no avail, so I checked slideshow and set it to start after 90 minutes. WMC still turns off the signal to the TV after 10 minutes (I believe it is about 10 minutes). And with no signal, my TV turns itself off after ~10 more minutes. I would like to stop this chain of events and leave the signal to the TV on, but I can not find a way. Is there one?

Note: after leaving many still frames on my TV for lengthy periods over the last couple of years, I have no concern over burn in.

On a somewhat related issue, ... when I wake my computer for the first time every day (I turn off my TV by hitting the sleep button on the remote and turning TV power off), instead of being on live TV or wherever I left it, it is on the guide. And often somewhere in prime time for that evening. It would be nice if it was at least at the current time.

I have disabled - start WMC in settings and am using my own shortcut in the startup folder (with a command line argument for live TV), so if I turn the computer off and then back on, I get what I want. Like a normal TV. When I turn it on, I want to see live TV. When I wake the computer, I would also like to see the same thing ... live TV.
--

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:31 am

cycletourist wrote:I have disabled the screen saver in Windows 7. I have UNchecked the slideshow screen saver in Settings -> Pictures, to no avail, so I checked slideshow and set it to start after 90 minutes. WMC still turns off the signal to the TV after 10 minutes (I believe it is about 10 minutes). And with no signal, my TV turns itself off after ~10 more minutes. I would like to stop this chain of events and leave the signal to the TV on, but I can not find a way. Is there one?
I believe that the power plan has a "Turn screen off after xx minutes" setting. Go to Start/Control Panel/Power Settings, and change the value there. (I have mine set to "Never".)

Also, when live TV or recorded TV is paused, Windows considers the system to be inactive, and so will sleep or hibernate the system after the appropriate timeout has expired. So if you do not want this to happen, modify the power plan to disable both sleep and (separately) hibernation.

I have my Vista system set up so that when the TV is on, the HTPC sleeps after 2 hours, but starts the screen saver after 5 minutes. No screen burn in, but I retain the live TV buffer for up to 2 hours if I have paused live TV (whatever that is). If the TV is off, the HTPC sleeps after 10 seconds (I use my own software to achieve this).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:05 am

for the latter part of your question, look at mikinho's valve application on missing remote (you may have to join to get the software). it allows WMC to start in live tv and other options

cycletourist

Post by cycletourist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 am

CyberSimian wrote: I believe that the power plan has a "Turn screen off after xx minutes" setting. Go to Start/Control Panel/Power Settings, and change the value there. (I have mine set to "Never".)
That simple? Of course. Thank you. I should have figured that one out for myself. Too many devices ... too many settings :?

(Sorry for the delay - bought a new guitar amp yesterday and rebuidling a bicycle today.)

Cheers
--

nanat

Post by nanat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:44 pm

a very old post but I was looking for the answer... just got a "new" PC running WMC and found this "feature" always popping up when TV was paused. Just found the answer. Look under Settings, Pictures, Slide Show Screen Saver.