No Video on new copy protected programs / PlayReady issues

blackout

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Video on new copy protected programs / PlayReady issues

Post by blackout » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:02 pm

I recently had an issue with my WMC. Any new copy protected live TV or recently recorded TV would not display video.

After researching and trying many different things, I may have made things worse.

In mid July, more and more of my recorded TV would display a blank screen. Audio was ok. This would only be on any copy protected programs. Any program recorded prior to Mid July was working fine.

I tried the following:
1. Attempted using HDMIyo
2. Changed HDMI Cables
3. Changed Video Inputs

After all that had no impact, I think I found the issue to be a problem with PlayReady. I noticed this when changing video cables, all of a sudden a prompt to update PlayReady came up on one of the channels. I updated PlayReady, which it seemed to do fine, and the video came on for that channel for a short period of time. After the video went away, I continued to do the above three steps again, without success.

I then tried the following (note, that I could not do it normally and had to do it in safe mode). I made a backup of all the folders

Code: Select all

net stop ehrecvr
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM and delete all files and folders underneath (don't delete the DRM directory itself)
net start ehrecvr
Run Windows Media Center. Update PlayReady by going through Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Update PlayReady.
After doing so, I still cannot update PlayReady I receive the error "The PlayReady Update was incomplete"

I've uninstalled PlayReady and reinstalled PlayReady. Still get "The PlayReady Update was incomplete"

I wanted to at least watch the recorded TV that I had so I reverted all the items I removed in the steps for PlayReady.

Now what occurs is that when I play an item from things that would have worked previously I get "Display driver error, The video display device does not support playback of protected content."

Did I screw myself? Can I no longer watch any of the recorded TV that I had prior to mid July? Any ideas as to how to get PlayReady updated?

Space

Post by Space » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:26 am

I will always say to check your hardware before you mess with any software. You may have a bad HDMI cable (try another cable) or bad HDMI port on the TV (try another one if you can) or a bad TV (try a new TV).
It is possible to have two bad HDMI cables, so even if you changed it once, it couldn't hurt to try another if you have one.

If you tried all hardware items, and it still does not work, then you can start software troubleshooting, but ALWAYS DO AN IMAGE BACKUP before you start messing with software. This way you can revert everything back to original if you mess it up even more.

If it was working fine, and you made no software changes to your system, and it just stopped working, it is most likely a hardware problem.

The display driver error you indicated is often due to the HDCP handshake not working on the HDMI cable between your computer and the TV, it can also be a software issue, but like I said, if it was working and then just stopped working, it is more likely to be hardware.

blackout

Post by blackout » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:48 am

I've already checked everything hardware. I replaced the HDMI cables. I even purchased new cables. I tried on different TVs. Still no video.

I wish I did an image backup, but I didn't. I did copies of the directories (I know it's not the same) and do have windows shadow copies turned on which I have a few different versions backed up.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 am

You did all the prerequisite tasks for ResetDRM, but it doesn't look like you actually ran ResetDRM which does some things within the registry I believe. Try the command script with the zip file from my website (run as administrator) which has the CleanDRM executable and see if that works.

https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:12 am

I would suggest using the search function of this forum to look for the error message you are seeing. There are a few reasons you could get that message, although if you didn't make any software changes (installs, updates, etc.) it's less likely to be software related unless you have some corrupted files.

Some reasons could be you have duplicated your display (Windows-P), you have installed remote desktop viewing software (such as VNC), you have more than one display adapter in device manager.

If you have an older disk image of your system, you can try restoring that (after you've made an image of your current system so you can go back if needed). You should also make an image if you plan to make any further software changes.

As for resetting DRM, if you do that, and it works, it will be only for recordings going forward. You will never be able to play back old DRM recordings after resetting the DRM.

fuddy

Post by fuddy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:21 am

garyan2 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 am You did all the prerequisite tasks for ResetDRM, but it doesn't look like you actually ran ResetDRM which does some things within the registry I believe. Try the command script with the zip file from my website (run as administrator) which has the CleanDRM executable and see if that works.

https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html
Used this board alot but never joined. I registered today to let you know this fixed my issues when I moved to new hardware. Thanks!