Should I get a new computer?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Should I get a new computer?

Post by lucasbuck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Sorry if that's a pretty broad question. I've spent a week setting up WMC and getting a little frustrated. Little glitches here and there, and over all fairly slow. Really slow on my XBox 360 extender. I also keep losing my TV signal (service is unavailable, there is currently no TV signal detected) and I have to restart WMC. Just installed the Ceton last weekend. I thought maybe a new PC would be in order, but thought I should get some opinions. This machine is fairly old:

Amd Athlon 64 3800 2.40 GHz
MB MSI K9N6PGM2-V2
XFX Geforce 8800 GT
Diamond XtremeSound 7.1/24 bit Sound Card with Dolby Digital Live ( XS71DDL )

I think the sound card could stay, it's fairly new. But if folks think I need an upgrade to fix some of my problems, I'd GREATLY appreciate any specific suggestions. I can build a PC, but picking out the components really drives me nuts. I usually buy from Newegg, so if anyone can recommend a MB\CPU (maybe a combo, and a motherboard with a good amount of SATA connectors. I had to install a card in this one because I ran out of connections) and some memory that would be a solid choice for WMC without being overkill I'd be forever grateful.

I'd also like to throw in a SSD for the OS if anyone can point me to a good (but not crazy) model. I don't even know what size to get. On the topic of things I don't know, which version of 7 should I get (Home, Premium)?

Of course, this is all based on if upgrading would give me some decent benefit to speed and glitches. If so, I welcome any and all suggestions. Just tell me what to buy! :D

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm haven't really been staying up to date on my hardware recently, so I'm not the person to answer that, but I can tell you this: a new computer may help with the sluggishness of the WMC interface. Assuming you're wired to your xbox, (so that isn't a rate-limiting step), it can help with sluggishness there too. But the TV signal errors are unlikely to be remedied by a new system- thats more likely a problem with the cable signal you're feeding to your PC.

Some other points that will hold true no matter the specific hardware you buy:
Any time you create a clean install from scratch, it often deals with some of those little glitches that you mention.
Highly recommend SSD, though, which are coming down to a better price point, at about $1 per GB.
Home Premium is the OS version you want.
4GB of RAM will be enough for WMC 95% of the time. But Ram is so cheap these days, if you have the space, you could try 6GB or 8GB instead.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to contact Ceton to track down about the signal. Everything is a wired connection by the way. I tested the system through Playon and get green on my network speed, but yellow on hardware.

You mentioned going more than 6GB. Is a 64 bit install preferable?

I could always up the memory, and do a clean install. This one came preinstalled with Win 7 a long time ago, so I may have to just spring for another copy. I figured if I was going through that trouble though, and a new MB and CPU would be a benefit, I might as well go ahead and do it. That way I don't have to do it later and lose the DRM rights on everything I've recorded.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:59 pm

At first glance I would say your video card could be improved upon. That will only improve the PC experience though and would not help your extender performance. Since you're asking it seems that the option is on the table so an overall upgrade might not be the worst idea. There are some decent options these days without spending too much money. I completely agree with makryger's SSD recommendation if you're willing to spend a couple extra bucks.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Yeah, 64-bits is pretty much the norm nowadays for HTPCs. Maybe 4 years ago, I would have said that there isn't enough software thats compatible with 64 bits, but now, there is no reason not to.

If you are looking to continue using the copy of Windoes 7 you already have, there are programs out there that determine what the activation key is for your already-owned copy of windows. Then, if you make an install CD or USB drive, you can just use the same key you had for your now defunct machine.

Good point on the DRM stuff- if you're planning on recording a lot of copy-protected shows, it may be a good idea to go all-in now.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to take the plunge, but going to do a thread and get some confirmations before I order. Thanks again!