Media Center won't record anything

Soijai

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center won't record anything

Post by Soijai » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:39 pm

I've been using WMC for 16 years or so and have never seen this before. I changed cable packages recently and when trying to add in more channels in EPG123 some things got messed up, which ultimately lead me to re-set and re-setup WMC. Once I got it back up with a full populated channel list and guide data, it wouldn't record anything. I click on record and get the record sound, but it won't start recording. The same goes for any scheduled shows.

I just finished swapping out the old boot drive and doing a new Win 7 install and WMC setup on and have come to the same end. There isn't a reception problem and the drive set for the recordings has plenty of space.

Has anyone seen encountered this and/or have any ideas on how to fix it?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:47 pm

Is there anything in the event log? Or take a look at the recording history in WMC at recording->view scheduled->history. Does it register your recording request and give a reason for failure?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:34 am

Without more details, it is difficult to know what is causing this, but one possible reason is in the below post.

viewtopic.php?p=117180#p117172

Note that if you are having this issue with every channel, then garyan2 may have a better way of fixing it then dong it manually on every channel.

Soijai

Post by Soijai » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Space: you nailed it it. All the channels had no tuners assigned.

I did have the issue on every channel I tried. I have re-installed Win7 and WMC a number of times over the years, but never had the channels disconnected from the tuners like that though. This was my first time doing full WMC reset and total rebuild with EPG123 though. In both cases, I was trying to avoid having to do the tedious manual channel selection by using a backup file. What messed me up is that the WMC guide data has to match with the current tuner setup and the backed up channel definitions that I used to overwrite the WMC DBs didn't match and that is how all my channels ended up not being assigned to any tuners. That is what stopped me from being able to record anything.

Thanks for the help guys. I just started over again and didn't try to take a shortcut and all is good now.