WMC sporadic recording

JAC73

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC sporadic recording

Post by JAC73 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:41 pm

This is a weird situation which I hope someone can help me to resolve.
Set up is Windows 8.1 with WMC utilising EPG123 programme guide.
Up until about three weeks ago everything was fine and then strange things started happening.
If a programme is set to record outside 'normal' watching hours e.g. 6pm to 11pm, the recording is fine.
However, if a programme is set to record during the evening hours it will record IF I am not watching another recording.
However, if I go to watch a recorded programme AFTER a programme has been scheduled to start, it will start that recording from the time I enter the programme list to select the programme to view.
e.g. Select 'programme A' to record from 8pm to 9pm. If at, say, 8.15pm I go to select a pre-recorded programme to watch, then 'programme A' will only show a recorded time from 8.15pm to 9pm instead of from 8pm to 9pm.
This means I miss the beginning of a lot of my programmes.
Can anyone please suggest a resolution to this problem?
Many thanks in advance
Regards John

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:50 am

You may have a corrupted WMC task, though successfully recording outside certain hours is weird. I'd first check Event Viewer to see if there are any errors from WMC as to why it started late or not at all. You can view them by running "Event Viewer" and navigating to "Applications and Services Logs\Media Center".
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:31 am

Yes, your description of what is happening does not exactly match the symptoms of the corrupted StartRecording task issue, but here is a link to fix that problem, just in case...

One thing you can do is just run the Task Scheduler GUI and see if any errors pop up about corrupted entries (should pop up as soon as it starts), although sometimes there is a corrupted task that is not reported by the Task Scheduler GUI.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:03 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:50 amYou can view them by running "Event Viewer" and navigating to "Applications and Services Logs\Media Center".
This is a potential use case for the WMC Recording History tool.

JAC73

Post by JAC73 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi all, thanks for the responses. Sorry about delay in replying have been trying a few things out.
Situation still not resolved however.
Error message states "System malfunction or a Power Loss". I know there is nothing wrong with the power supply so must be a "System Malfunction" but what?
Have reseated tuner card and reconnected aerial cables.
I have three tuner cards; 2 x single tuner cards (Hauppauge) and 1 x 4 tuner card (TBS). The history file seems to indicate that all the problems are with the TBS card.
I think that, therefore, this card may be experiencing problems on an intermittent basis so I think it is time to replace it and we will see what happens.
Regards
John