Dead 7MC machine :(

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 am

Yep, Configuring a HTPC can be a PITA... Once it's set it works pretty well (most of the time). Glad its at least working again, so thats a plus.. I feel your pain on the aging hardware front. I really need to refresh all the PC's in the house (including my mom's) but I just have no extra $. I blew my extra $ on more tuners recently. So it's going to be a short month here for new parts, or food or... well you understand I am sure.. lol
Glad you have a working PC again, Sorry you couldn't afford some better kit but neither can I..
:)
newfiend~

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 am

The heatsink that you are referring to, is it the one that came with the processor?

If it is, its actually plenty for the additional cores so long as your case doesnt restrict airflow too much, AMD and Intel actually package the same HSF with a number of their upper and lower end processors. Though some of the highest end ones have a semi-decent heat pipe cooler. What processor did you get?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:26 pm

newfiend wrote:I really need to refresh all the PC's in the house (including my mom's) but I just have no extra $.
I'd love to do a big refresh, but can't justify the £ necessary for it. The only PC that really "needs" an upgrade is the kids one, the rest are just "wants". I keep thinking the kids PC will die at any moment (it must be 7 or 8 years old now and has seen some sterling service) but it just keeps on running!
Beradon wrote:The heatsink that you are referring to, is it the one that came with the processor?

If it is, its actually plenty for the additional cores so long as your case doesnt restrict airflow too much, AMD and Intel actually package the same HSF with a number of their upper and lower end processors. Though some of the highest end ones have a semi-decent heat pipe cooler. What processor did you get?
It's an AMD 7550; dual core, 2.5GHz. Good track record on the web of people having success unlocking two additional cores.

The cooler did come with the CPU, but it's not the official AMD one. I bought a bundle of CPU, cooler and mobo which I'm guessing the supplier just made up a number of to use up end of line stock. I think the cooler is from Spire(?) and whilst it looks effective, and isn't overtly loud, the CPU temps are a bit higher than I think they should be.

I don't "need" four cores to run a dedicated Media Centre machine anyway. Two have been serving me perfectly well on a 1.9Ghz CPU for many years now. The new setup is noticeably laggy in the UI compared to the old one though. I suspect this is because I've had to drop down to 2Gb memory from 3Gb. Task Manager says I'm never actually using more than 1.25Gb of physical memory (with the TV running, extender connected and me connecting using remote desktop) so I should still have spare.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:57 pm

What was your old processor? the reason I ask is because the Athlon x2 7550 is a few generations old now. And with you mentioning it being sluggish I'm wondering if you ended up with an older processor than you had previously despite the clock speed.

To give you an example, my Athlon ii x2 in my server is clocked lower than my girlfriend's old core 2 duo, but it easily outperforms it.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:21 pm

The 7550 is old, but still newer than the previous CPU. According to wikipedia the Athlon X2 3600+ that I used to have was released in Jan 07, whilst the 7550 was released in Dec 08. So, it's virtually 2 years newer.

The Windows Experience Index CPU measurement has shot up compared to the old one as well. As the amount of memory is the only thing worse than the old machine, it has to be that.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 pm

When you have some extra funds grab another stick or two of ram.. That's what I did. Ram is an easy and fairly inexpensive upgrade. Unfortunately I had to send back my two newest sticks though as one was bad.. :(

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express