HomeRun HDHR3-US video issues - solved

00derek

HTPC Specs: Show details

HomeRun HDHR3-US video issues - solved

Post by 00derek » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:50 pm

HDHR3-US HDHomeRun Dual
Windows 7
Windows Media Center

I've been using the HomeRun tuner for about 8 years to record OTA TV. I never had to bother with firmware updates, it worked pretty reliably until a few months ago.

The problem now is the video is freezing; starting/stopping continuously. On live TV as well as recordings. But only using WMC. I looked at the video on the HDHome Run app (let's you watch live TV) and it's fine. I did a firmware update and re-ran the set-up program, but still freezing in WMC.

I have the EPG123 and Schedules Direct set-up - since about a year ago. But freezing only started 2-3 months ago.

Anyone else seeing this and what's the solution?

I submitted a help ticket with Silicon Dust

Thanks

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:14 pm

First thing to try is a packet loss test found here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... acket_loss
If you are using wireless there may be interference or you may have a failing network component in the path between the PC and the HomeRun.

00derek

Post by 00derek » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 am

mmm not getting anything...

Can you show me an example from a cmd window?

This is what I'm getting - the test never starts

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" 10
3AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:8

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" 10
3AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:8.1

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:8.1

C:\Windows\system32>root
'root' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config
Usage:
        hdhomerun_config discover
        hdhomerun_config <id> get help
        hdhomerun_config <id> get <item>
        hdhomerun_config <id> set <item> <value>
        hdhomerun_config <id> scan <tuner> [<filename>]
        hdhomerun_config <id> save <tuner> <filename>
        hdhomerun_config <id> upgrade <filename>

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config discover
hdhomerun device 103AE031 found at 169.254.174.3

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto 8.1
ERROR: invalid channel

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto 8

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:8.1

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:8

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:CH8 - 3

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:CH8

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:CH8-3

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:12

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:12.1

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 GET HELP
Usage:
        hdhomerun_config discover
        hdhomerun_config <id> get help
        hdhomerun_config <id> get <item>
        hdhomerun_config <id> set <item> <value>
        hdhomerun_config <id> scan <tuner> [<filename>]
        hdhomerun_config <id> save <tuner> <filename>
        hdhomerun_config <id> upgrade <filename>

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set tuner0 channel auto:8
ERROR: unknown getset variable

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner1/channel auto:8

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner1/channel auto:8.1

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner2/channel auto:8.1
ERROR: unknown getset variable

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:8.1

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:8

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:15

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 103AE031 set /tuner0/channel auto:15.1

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:42 am

I only have primes so I can't try a OTA packet loss test. However, if you haven't tried yet you might try using the physical channel number rather than virtual.

00derek

Post by 00derek » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:47 pm

I've tried all kinds of numbers, but anyway I think the numbers are the same (physical v virtual - at least for my channels).

I pulled the other desktop out of the office and got WMC working up to the point where I could watch live TV on one channel - the video plays fine, no start/stop like on the HTPC. So it's got to be the computer.

I'm going to re-install Windows and see what happens.

So much effort just to watch TV - If the wife didn't insist on watching Sunday political shows with no ads I wouldn't have to do this sh**.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:47 pm

One difference between WMC and the HD Homerun app is that WMC always buffers the stream on the recording disk. If the app is working properly and WMC is not then you may be having problems with your disk that you use for recordings.
Also, looking back at the packet loss test attempts you posted, I only see you doing the channel set command. The test does not start till you issue the 2nd (save) command.

00derek

Post by 00derek » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:37 pm

I was wondering about that - so WMC "live TV" is still coming off the hard drive. I could probably save the live TV file location to a different drive. Without re-installing windows

DUH I see that now - "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF save /tuner0 null

Thank you!

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 pm

You should be able to change your recorded TV location easily, IIRC it's a settable location from a WMC menu somewhere. To reduce wear, long ago I actually changed the live TV buffer location to point to a RAMdisk. The down side of doing that is that to make it fit I had to reduce the buffer size so pause/resume of live TV is more limited, however I never use that anyway.

00derek

Post by 00derek » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:05 pm

I cleaned up the C: drive from about 10% free space to 50% free space - deleted unneeded files, moved large files temporarily, uninstalled/reinstalled WMC, turned off antivirus...nothing helped. Even changed Recorded TV folder to a second hard drive. Nope.

Re-installed Windows from a factory image; it took all day to get all the W7 updates, EPG set-up etc., but now it's as good as new, no more video issues. Just another data point that says no matter what you do you will eventually benefit from re-installing Windows

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:00 pm

00derek wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:05 pmJust another data point that says no matter what you do you will eventually benefit from re-installing Windows
My .02 cents.

I used to believe that until I had to do it one too many times. Now I clone my primary drive onto a duplicate drive once a month. The cloning process takes less than 15 minutes through a USB connection. Now if I need to reinstall I simply unplug the "corrupt" Windows drive and plug in the cloned "uncorrupted" Windows drive. The swap process takes less than 5 minutes and I'm back in business.

Something to consider... ;)

00derek

Post by 00derek » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 pm

that sounds like a good idea. Did you use the EXACT same p/n hard drive, or just the same size?

The HD I'm using is from 2008, so long stopped being available.

I'm pretty sure it has to be the same size, but what else does...?

DM

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:51 pm

00derek wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 pm that sounds like a good idea. Did you use the EXACT same p/n hard drive, or just the same size?

The HD I'm using is from 2008, so long stopped being available.

I'm pretty sure it has to be the same size, but what else does...?

DM
If you're cloning, the hard drive size, model, etc doesn't matter. I use EaseUS Todo Backup Free to clone my drive. I just happened to purchase two identical drives on sale one time.

I have successfully cloned a smaller drive to a larger drive and have also cloned a huge IDE drive on to a much smaller SSD after removing all the excess non-OS items to make it fit. ;)

00derek

Post by 00derek » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 pm

Finally got my clone drive to boot, using Macrium Reflect; it was straightforward. Thanks for the tip on that.

Regarding drive size, yes you can clone a drive to a smaller or larger capacity drive. A smaller drive still has to be big enough for the size of the file set of course, but a larger one needs special instructions during the cloning to make use of the extra capacity. A straight clone will build a partition that's only as big as the original, so the extra space on the drive won't be accessible unless you configure the cloning software to make a larger partition.