Tuners are not recognized

jeepman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuners are not recognized

Post by jeepman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:04 pm

So I had to store my HTPC for a couple of months, and now we are ready to bring it back online, however the tuners are not recognized. I really hope I don't have issues like in the beginning of the year with PlayReady, etc. Does anyone have an 8.1 WMC still working? I will use a 3 tuner CC and a 2 tuner OTA. I am researching channel guides right now in hopes that I can nurse this along for a bit longer.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Not enough information here to be able to help. What kind of tuners? Tuner cards in the PCI bus? USB connected tuners? Network connected (e.g. SiliconDust) tuners?

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Oops, SD HDHomeRun Prime 3 Tuner with CableCard and an SD Duo Connect OTA with RCA digital antenna that gets around 35 OTA channels. All equipment is connected to the same network switch, so local routing within the switch carries the traffic. This was all working before storing the system for a couple of months. Also, if it matters, I did not lose CMOS information or anything, so I literally turned the system on, and it booted to the desktop as expected.

I am able to run the HDHomeRun Setup program and all 5 tuners are recognized in setup, and CableCard status shows success via diagnostics. Oddly, with the HDHomeRun application, I am only able to watch the OTA channels, but not the Prime's CableCard channels. I am however less worried about that since I really want to continue using WMC8.1 if possible.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:43 pm

This sounds like a cablecard problem at least. I assume you have moved locations. Did your cablecard move with you? or is it a new cablecard? In either case you almost certainly need to have the cable co. (re)validate/pair the card with your tuner. Has that been done? If you get it so the SD app can access the CC tuner then WMC ought to be able to as well. I assume you are still with the same cable co otherwise you definitely need a new cablecard from the new cable provider.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:04 pm

Aarrghh, that is what I was worried about. I set these items up more that 5 years ago, so I will need to remember how to do it. I hope I get a tech on the phone that is competent; I got a great tech last time, and we got it all set up. Now that CableCard is not required, I wonder if the good techs are "rolling off" to other parts of Spectrum. I guess I will find out when I call this evening!

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:32 pm

If you're on Spectrum, you might just need to refresh your cablecard. You can do it yourself online. Log in to your account on www.spectrum.net . Then choose the "Services" tab, then on the Services page choose the "TV" tab. You should see a listing of your equipment there, like your cable box and your cablecard. Click the link that says "Experiencing Issues?" and then click the button to reset your equipment. That sends a "hit" from Spectrum to your cable equipment, forcing the system to locate, identify, and register everything you have connected. Even if you call support, that is always the first thing they do, and it is usually all that is necessary to get things working. Spectrum (and Charter when that was their name) has never had me pair the cablecard over the phone by reading off numbers and MAC addresses to them. All they do is this reset procedure and the cablecard is paired. It's been that way ever since I first subscribed to digital cable way back in the Windows XP days.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:12 pm

unclebun wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:32 pm If you're on Spectrum, you might just need to refresh your cablecard. You can do it yourself online. Log in to your account on www.spectrum.net . Then choose the "Services" tab, then on the Services page choose the "TV" tab...
Y'all are going to laugh, but I went to Spectrum.net and followed the tips to reset my equipment, but the CableCard is not there! My CableCard and Cisco STA have totally fell off my account. I am super mad now because my rates went up again when we moved, so I got them to give me a different package, but it was never said the rate was lower because the rep had dropped the CableCard and extra outlet fee! Now, I have a much different phone call to Spectrum to make!

EDIT: I even verified on my first billing statement for the new address doesn't even have the CableCard and extra outlet listed, so I totally missed this as part of Spectrum's stupid electronic statements! I am switching back to paper statements so I can see what the heck is going on each month.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:49 pm

SOLVED!

So this was a result of moving addresses, and a Spectrum mistake where they literally dropped my CableCard and Signal Transport Adapter off of my account! The good news is that the CableCard was added back to the account, and $2 per month, and they did not charge an extra outlet fee this time. Before, I was paying a fee for an extra outlet even though the Transport Adapter was on a splitter that supplied the Digital Cable Box and the Transport Adapter. The rep said I should never have been charged for that under Spectrum, but since it was actually a Time Warner charge before, there was not any way to refund even a small amount. Regardless, I am glad to have my MCE back, and for how ever long it lasts!

Thanks again for the awesome community support on The GreenButton.

NYMC

Post by NYMC » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:45 pm

I am assuming the "Signal Transport Adapter" is an external Tuning Adapter? Cablevision just sent me one, I am not sure if they activated it though. Did you always have the Signal Transport Adapter or was there a recent need for it?